HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Turned power off to fix unrelated issue and now my trane…

Customer Question
Turned power off to fix...
Turned power off to fix unrelated issue and now my trane xl16c will not ignite. Since it had two slow flashes (green) I Did complete power off to with thermostat off then turned it back on (at the pole). Turned thermostat on and gas and blower came on. The igniter made a buzzing sound and nothing happens. Green light flashes twice again.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/7/2018
HVAC Technician: Bill, HVAC Technician replied 4 months ago
Bill
Bill, HVAC Technician

I am sorry for the delay. I realize it is the xl series but do you have a model number from the info label in the unit?

4ycz6048c1090aa
The manual states the the 2 slow flashing indicate system lockout: failed to detect or sustain flame. I know gas is getting to it.

do you smell gas come out the exhaust for 3 seconds during attempted start?

The power off/on should not have affected this. If we have spark and gas...it is just the 2 are not getting together.

I turned the thermostat off, the power at the pole and waiting 30 minutes. Turned on power and waited 20 minutes. Turn heat on thermostat and lowered it just two degrees over room temp. Now I can hear the flame light. It runs for several minutes then shuts off again.

So main blower never kicks on?

It does for a few minutes and I feel a little bit of heat coming thru the vents then it just kicks off and light starts flashing again.

what electrical work did you do?

A limb fell on the line (between main pole and garage) pulling connectors loose.
Maybe the blower isnot coming on. I know I hear the burners light then something kicks on that sounds like it would be a blower. No fan though as I can push the reset button to get it going so I know what it sounds like...

It sounds like the blower 220v is compromised. We have ignition and proved flame...but the 220v blower not running.

Can you check the blower capacitor?

The blower comes on and runs for about 4 minutes. I smell propane around the unit but it shuts off and starts flashing again. When it was installed, they left the natural gas components in it and it ran on propane (not for long). Blackened everything. They replaced the components and has operated fine for the last 5 months. Could That be related

That is good information....is it possible the rear tube turns have soot accumulation?

Are the burner entry points into exchanger clear or black?

The burners are clear. I called a technician and he cleaned the flame sensor and it ran for 10 minutes then stopped. The propane tank had lost the remaining 200 gals in the 72 hours the unit was down. Since this is the only thing using the propane and I have had the propane leak tested every 4 weeks because I could not understand why I was having to pay $800 a month in fuel & the test always showed no leaks, I’m thinking the unit itnto blame. I have reported repeatedly to the Trane guy that it smells heavily of propane but to no avail. Now I’m waiting on yet more propane and the tech guy will come back out to check pressure. Thank you for your time and inquiries. Im sure this problem will cascade into another and another expert will be needed. Probably a plumber to fix frozen pipes. ;)

Wow...you have incomplete shut down of the gas valve. This is very bad.

The gas valve is not shutting down 100% and is basically just leaking the propane through the exhaust pipe.

I really wish you the best.

Bill