HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am considering purchasing a Mini Split system, 2 zone, for…

I am considering purchasing a...
I am considering purchasing a Mini Split system, 2 zone, for my home in Minnesota. I have researched the various brands and have narrowed it down to a system by Cooper & Hunter. Can anyone please tell me their professional pro's or con's about this system? Thank you
3/7/2018
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Cooper and Hunter does not make the equipment, they buy it from China most likely, South Korea or India..... its an off brand, you may or may not be able to get parts for it later, odds are in the 90% range that you will not be able to buy parts.

.

Reputable established dealers sell Daikin, MItsubishi, Gree, Fujitsu for the most part.... retailers with no service departments often are sales or retail people who are not set up for repairs .... and do not not know what they are getting into, so they buy these rebranded chinese systems. That is the most glaring red flag with the Cooper & Hunter situation.

.

Beyond that, with any brand, service is complex, buy from a local, well established dealer who specializes in those mini split systems... if you buy from someone else without those skills, then when the system fails and needs repair, no repair will be available.

We can go from here, without any time limits in as much depth as needed.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Interesting. Cooper and Hunter claim they are from Scandinavia, not China but I admit they are quite vague in their description and their price is attractive.. Thank you

The chinese equipment sells for 60 to 80% less than the brands I mentioned, Daikin, and mitsubishi.

Its possible that the Cooper and Hunter is not made in China, it might be made in North Korea. or Pago Pago... using chinese parts. Even USA main brands like Carrier buy their mini split systems from Asia, sometimes from the better names such as Mitsubishi... sometimes not.

Most important is the dealer, location, size of service dept, and time in business specializing the mini split systems... not an appliance, lawn furniture or used car dealer selling an off brand mini split from the back room.

.

Its time to rate my input for the day, that gets me paid, locate the "finish and rate your expert" link near the top of the page and click on it. I will appreciate that very much.

I am in every day from 9 am to 11 pm west coast USA time to do any follow up needed.

.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** understand you. Price of course is a huge issue and, effectively, China invaded us some time ago. I purchased parts for my Ford from a Chinese distributor a few years ago at 75% savings compared to Ford and they're still good. Cooper and Hunter are offering their system at about 60% less than Mitsubishi and up to 200% less than Daikin or Gree. I live in the upper Midwest and the closest distributor of any system is over 500 miles away so service is an issue regardless who's system I buy. At least with the Cooper and Horton (or similar) system, with the initial savings if a portion of the system breaks or fails it would probably be cheaper to replace that whole portion than the parts. The Chinese have trained us to be a throwaway society and with service costs being what they are these days, it is what it is.I'll reword my question. Of the lower cost Chinese/Japanese/Asian systems, how does Cooper & Horton stack up to the rest of them? They claim to have 39 distributors across the US.

This is the first mention I have seen of Cooper and Horton (or Cooper and Hunter) in my 9 years answering 125,000 these sorts of questions on Just Answer... its an off brand, no telling how badly south it is, but without local support you will be wasting your money, generally people who do not sell the mini splits will not work on them.

There are several reasons,

1. No parts available

2. they sell for less than most repairs so that there is no profit in repairs.

3. The service manuals are bad translations from the Hindi or Chinese... and not written in the first place by anyone

who understands service.

I would not buy a mini split with no local and well established mini split service available. I get those calls all the time, desperate for service and none available.

If you are near a larger city, the odds are good that you will find a local dealer but none who sell the bottom of the line equipment, its just too much trouble with call backs, and unhappy customers, so that a reliable dealer will only sell what is reliable and what he can get parts for.

A vastly better option, if you are in area with no service, is through the wall, window type AC units.... cheap and easy to replace when they fail.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer