HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I purchased a Honeywell Thermostat with wifi capabilities.

Customer Question
I purchased a Honeywell...

I purchased a Honeywell Thermostat with wifi capabilities. My current thermostat does not have a C wire for power. The janitrol furnace does not either. What can I do to make the thermostat work. The furnace was installed in 1999 and is natural gas.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

The thermostat requires a connection to power from the furnace. I looked at the wiring and there is no C connection in the furnace. There is a 24v transformer which must be for the air conditioner or humidifier.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I will if I can be guided as to where I should access the 24v required. If not I will need a technician.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't want to damage the board in the furnace so I'm not going to wire in the thermostat wire unless I know the correct connection.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
3/6/2018
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 5 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Do you have an extra wire in the thermostat cable not currently used?
I don’t but the instructions said to use the G wire. Then use a jumper in the furnace.
Ok at the furnace...wires from furnace wire nut to thermostat wires...do you see these?..or post pic