HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Navien combination heat/hot water boiler. It is on…

I have a Navien...

I have a Navien combination heat/hot water boiler. It is on but heat is not going to the radiators.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Thermostat is working. I don't have any filter.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, but I can't get a repair person. I have not had heat all night.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It is only about 3 or 4 years old and has always worked well. I keep thinking there must be something simple that I don't know to check?

I forgot to mention their was a small amount of water discharged from the system drainage pipe.
3/3/2018
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, I need the full model number of the heater please

Tell me if you can where the water seems to be coming from and about how old the water heater is please

If the hot water circulating pump is running, the problem is most likely air trapped in the radiators which can easily be bled out. If the hot water circulating pump is not running, then there is a problem with the controls, maybe a bad printed circuit board,

.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the units service access panel

and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible!
I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you but I can't find the manual and don't have the model number. The boiler is hanging high on the wall and to see anything you have to unscrew the front face plate. It is not possible to bleed the radiators but they have never been bled before. I have owned the building 20 years and they were not bled before that. I know it sounds strange but you can't get to them to bleed them with a key. I think the boiler was put in about 3 years ago. The water came from the relief pipe.
I had hoped there might be something simple that I did not know to check. I am very familiar with big old fashioned hot water boilers but not with this one. I am getting very hot water at the sink. Since I can't access the panel and there must not be something simple I don't think you will be able to help me. Do these boilers require any routine servicing?

Thanks,

Regarding the leak, in that case the expansion tank bladder is broken and needs to be replace, depending on the type and location cost is $150 or so and one hour labor. attach photo's of the piping, 4 or 5 so I can see where the expansion tank might be located.

click here for pictures

Send photo's of the near the top of each radiator, so I can spot the air bleeds for you, they ALL have them...hydrogen gas builds up inside with age and internal corrosion.

Tell me if the circulating pump is running or not,

We can go from there

Phil, thank you, ***** ***** where the air bleeds are on the radiator. They are behind decorative panels that do not come off without major work and having to repaint. I am here 20 years. They have never been bled and heat was fine. The relief valve let the small amount of water out the drain pipe. It has happened before. I'm going home to get space heaters! TY!

Good idea, you forgot to to tell me if the pump was running or not. if the pump is running, there is most likely air trapped in the radiators, it develops over time with internal corrosion,

A bit about myself, I am 77 years old with 58 years in the business, 27 staff at peak, countless boiler projects... consulting nationally since 1985

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

Phil, I did get someone to come locally .....I hope. I am 70 years old :-) and 46 years a real estate broker. You win! I have to leave but I will be back later and I do have a couple of questions. I will also see if I can find the manual at home. The Navien is in my office. Thank you! I will be back later. Thank you!
Pam

That works, I will be here, there is no time limit... but please do not forget rate, thats how I earn a living

Phil, my business is similar!
Back....later!

Great

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer