HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

WEil McLain oil Boiler Beckett burner will just shut down no…

WEil McLain oil Boiler...

WEil McLain oil Boiler Beckett burner will just shut down no lights on controller. If I shut down power & power back up it usually runs fine again. New fuel pump, filter, nozzle.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About 6 weeks, it will run fine for up to a week then trouble again

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

To the extent that i can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Today, and only today the motor started for about 1 sec then shut down, but then ran fine after that

3/2/2018
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Since the ignition control isn't locking out you need to look at the aqustat/relay and what's signaling a call for heat. If you only have 1 zone that would be the thermostat or thermostat wiring. If you have multiple zones then that would be the zone valves or pump relay(s).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have pump relays but problem doesn't seem to correspond to any particular zone

Since the problem is intermittent it will be difficult to pin down but if you have multiple relays it's more likely this is an operating control (aquastat/relay). There's also a chance the ignition control could be faulty. First thing to do is check all your connections. Keep in mind that 18 gauge wire is notorious for partially breaking unnoticed. Ideally you'd monitor voltage at B1 & B2 on the operating control for a voltage drop/loss. Best to do this with the T terminals jumped. If have 120 vac at B1 & B2 and no burner function and no lockout then the ignition control is suspect.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not extpert , but I assume t = Thermostat, but what do you mean by ignition control?

Yes the T terminals are the "thermostat" terminals but in your case the relay end switches would be connected to them. They are labeled T on virtually all operating controls. Ignition control is the control on the burner with the reset button.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if it is aquastat/relay wouldn't boiler still lock out eventually or no

You never mentioned a lock out which would require hitting the rest button to restart the burner

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry wasn't thinking clearly. The answer is, If the relay doesn't work then the whole process never begins, correct?

Far from the only possibility. The sequence could start then the voltage drops out due to a defect.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But once process started I wouldn't get locked out?

I just answered this question. The sequence could start then the voltage drops out due to a defect. Again it's not a lock out unless you have to hit the reset button.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry, I knew I wasn't locked out. I just thought that if the process got past the relay that the controller would lock out but I guess I was wrong, my bad

The thing is, intermittent problems are notoriously difficult to diagnose. You can only diagnose when it doesn't work. So next time it goes down you'll need to do the voltage testing I outlined earlier.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, thank you

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor