HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Power outage fried thermostat, will take days to get exact…

Power outage fried thermostat...

Power outage fried thermostat, will take days to get exact replacement, so bought cheaper Honeywell replacement

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Thermostast

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only if I am smart enough

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

3 wires from eim go to 1 2 3 on old thermostat

2/20/2018
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, HVAC Mechanic

H​ello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. What is the model of the thermostat you are installing and do you happen to know the model of the old one?

Honeywell rth6350
Old had smoked come out when power surge die to storm
Broken thermostat has 3 wires connected to terminals 1 2 3 red white and green
New thermostat from Honeywell I connect to terminals r w g and heating system does not work
3 wires from eim unit terminals 1 2 and 3 need to be connected to which terminals on new thermostat and does r and rg jumper need to be connected or not
Old model th9421c1004

ok give me just a few minutes to pull up some information for you.

Thanks
Except there is no yellow wire from eim unit only r w g
that how it is connected except no yellow
it does not work

ok and your sure you have turned on the system for heat and that the breaker is not popped for the furnace right?

That is correct all breakers are shut and none are tripped
Any other ideas or do I need to call Honeywell tomorrow???

I am thinking when the thermostat blew that something else went with with the heater as well

let me check one more thing

why have you given me a negative rating I am trying to assist you?

Thanks for trying.

ok but the negative rating you have given me greatly effects me as an expert on the site. I am willing to help but negative ratings bring me down very badly.

Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, HVAC Mechanic

and your sure the r is in the r and not the rc correct? Can you show me a picture of your wiring?

Ok there it is

tr​y putting the red on the rc port and let me know what happens

Remove jumper or leave it

leave it

Nothing

ugh I am sadly out of ideas on this one then. Something else has to be going on. You have it wired correctly so there is not other reason that it shouldn't be working unless during the power outage something was damaged on the furnace. Will you please keep me posted on what Honeywell says tomorrow morning?

so​ put the red one back with red and also the white one doesnt look like its pushed down in there well so many sure its making a good connection. If there is a bad connection with any wires it wont work either.

I apologize for earlier it's not your fault it 45 degrees in the house and 25 outside I am taking family to hotel I will tell you whatever Honeywell or technician finds so you know. Let me know how I can fix my earlier rating.

I ​am honestly thinking when the power outage happened is may have fried the compressor. If the furnace needs to be tested we can look into that if Honeywell can not get your squared away. Just follow up with me on here tomorrow.

also I really believe there should have been a yellow wire so make sure to check that it didnt fall down in the wall.