HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I bought a home with a separate heat/cool syste for the

walkout basement level with 3...
I bought a home with a separate heat/cool syste for the walkout basement level with 3 main rooms. There is a single return with a 12” round duct and a 20”x20” wall filter. That vent/filter is where I need to put some tall furniture cabinet units which would block the vent and restrict airflow and make changing the filter a pain. I would like to relocate the filter to an adjacent wall, and at the same time, add additional returns to the other 2 rooms to improve airflow and better control dust. I plan on teeing off the main 12” duct with one part stepping down to an 8” duct, and the other continuing with 12” to a second tee with the two other ends stepping down to 8” round ducts. I suspect this will not impede the airflow returning to the air handler in any way. Now the question of 3 new wall vent/filters. I was thinking of using three 14”x14” providing 588 square inches of filter vs. the original 400 square inches. Will this plan work ok for my system or should I try to match the original specifications closer with three 12”x12” vent/filters for 432 square inches vs. the original 400? Would I need to better match the duct sizing, say two 8” and one 6” ducts for 128 square inches vs. the original 113 square inches in the single 12” duct?
2/17/2018
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Matching duct capacity is important but upsizing the return won't cause problems. Filter size is not as critical. Same or larger is fine smaller is not.

Great to hear. Thank you.

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor