HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an older trane, TDD080C936B0 and got an OPEN HIGH…

I have an older...

I have an older trane, TDD080C936B0 and got an OPEN HIGH TEMP LIMIT SW fault. I replaced the sw that is on the front of the unit behind the gas valve. When I cycled power I got the same error code. I had to cycle power several times until the unit would fire. Is there another thermal sw in this circuit that could be intermittent?

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

Furnace is 20 yrs. It has a new control unit put in it 2 years ago.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is just replacing a faulty sw, yes

2/16/2018
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

These switches are in series. This means you simply follow the wires from the switch you replaced to the other switches. They basically are all in a string switch to switch. Follow the wires until they return to the board...test every switch the wires lead to.

I only found the part number to the switch on the front of the furnace. The wire skematic does show two switches. Any idea how I can find the sw part number without tearing the furnace apart?
Repair Clinic.com shows this sw also; Trane Furnace Thermoprotector FUS00620, but I do not know if it is the second sw or not.

can you post a pic of your furnace with top door off?

give me a minute

standing by

oh. There it is

ok see HERE

On this type of unit there could be one hidden in the top section. This is where you physically trace the wires from switches I pointed out in the pic I just sent.

OK. I was hoping not to have to open it up to investigate, but that is not a problem. Thanks for the help.

You are very welcome...I really wish you the best and if you need more info let me know.

Just rate service ( 5 star system) to close.

Good luck!

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech