HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My steam boiler is discharging steam and water from the

relief valve. I just...
My steam boiler is discharging steam and water from the relief valve. I just changed it to a new one and issue seemed to intensify. Any idea what’s going on
All radiators get hot
Weil McLain 125000btu has fired steam boiler
2/14/2018
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, it is most likely that your temperature controllers, both the high limit and the operating temperature control inside the boiler are set too high, OR defective with the contacts burnt closed.

.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo of the boiler wiring diagram glued inside its service access panel and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible!
I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks, click here please

.

Tell me where the thermostat and limit switches are set please.

.

Next remove one wire from the thermostat and tell me if boiler ceases firing or not.

Next remove one wire from the limit switch and tell me if the boiler ceases firing or not.

That will tell me whats most likely wrong with the boiler.

We can go from here until we get it sorted out

I have it off right now
Should I turn it on?

First tell me where the thermostat and high limit switches inside the boiler are set.

.

Steam boilers can be *dangerous, even with a working pressure relief valve in place.... you should not be working on this unless you are confident in your skills and wish to take the risk.

.

If so then turn the boiler on until it blows the relief valve and follow my instructions to disconnect the one wire from each from the thermostat and high limit switch marked on the wiring diagram you sent me.

The pressuretrol is set at 0.5 and where can I see the thermostat

Thanks, ***** ***** the model number of the boiler and I will see if I can pull the manual on it

EG-40-PI series 2

Hello again, click here please, see page 20.

we can work with the pressure limit switch only.

Follow my earlier directions on that

If I wait for the relief valve to blow, I take off one wire from the pressure control
if it stops discharging, it tells me the pressure control is no goo?
Good

When you take one wire off of the pressure control the burner should shut off, then a minute or so later it will cease discharging.

If the burner does not go off, the gas valve is stuck open and must be replaced

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer