HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a furnace that wont run, i have done some

Customer Question
I have a furnace...

I have a furnace that wont run, i have done some troubleshooting and had a repairman out, but it is still not running. was hoping for some help diagnosing the issue.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes. the furnace filter is new

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depending on the labor involved, yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The cycle goes as follows.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
I have a Goodman furnace, model number gms80703ana. Furnace powers on, inducer motor runs, relay clicks and the hot surface ignitor glows. the gas valve clicks and will sometimes fire, sometimes not. If the gas does light, it will stay on for about 20 seconds and than turn off. I cleaned the flame sensor, and then replaced it with a new one. the condition still existed. At that time, i also replaced my HSI. The limits all tested as normally closed. I was told by a technician that the circuit board was bad, so i replaced it, but the condition still existed. I then bought another new circuit board (to make sure the previous new one wasn't also faulty) and the same problem still exists. The indicator light will flash 6 times, and then 7 times when the gas is cut off. I measured voltage to the gas valve, and am only getting 10vac. I jumped the gas valve with 24v directly from the transformer, and it fires up no problem. however, once i remove the 24v jumper wires, it shuts off.
I removed the chimney pipe, to see if maybe it was not allowing the exhaust to vent and shutting off the gas, but the house filled with smoke when i did that, so i put that back on immediately. I checked the furnace chimney cap on the roof, and it was not blocked by snow, or any other obstructions. The house is a duplex, and the other unit directly next door has the exact same furnace and exhaust system and is working fine. I have replaced the circuit board in that furnace next door, and it worked fine
2/14/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 4 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Test voltage into and out of the 24 volt AC transformer

120vac, 24vac. As I said earlier, I jumpered 24v directly from the transformer to the gas valve because the wires at the valve are only being given 10vac.

That wasn't clear. I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 4 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Good morning - My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you. How long does the board flash the 6 code before changing to 7? That's an indication of an open roll-out switch... I'm wondering if the contacts in one of the roll-out switches are bad and causing some strange things. Is there one or two roll-outs on your furnace?

There is the one manual reset rollout limit. But it holds closed even when it says rollout limit. It blinks 6 times just on the first display, then blinks 7 times for two more displays before trying to cycle again.

Okay, thank you. The sensor senses flame through ground, so let's check and make sure the ground to the unit is solid. Make sure there's a ground running to the plug/switch/disconnect of the unit, then that the connection to the unit cabinet is solid.

Okay. The furnace has a 12/2 w ground mc to the disc. It has a ground running all the way from the panel to the switch. The ground bonds the plate which the inducer motor sits on; the inducer motor itself, and the burner housing. I have 1.3v when measured between the ground and neutral.

A small amount between ground and neutral is normal. Sounds like it's grounded properly. Take a look at the gas valve - the diagram shows the brown wire from gas valve runs through an auxiliary limit switch before going to the control board. Try bypassing that auxiliary limit and see if furnace fires properly.

Have you had a chance to check that and bypass that limit? The more I think of it the more I'm confident that the switch is bad or there's a loose connection somewhere in that brown wire.

I won’t have a chance to check until tonight. The gas valve gets both wires directly from the 12 pin connector on the board, it does not run through any switches first.

Okay, thanks. The diagram definitely shows the brown one goes through a switch. When you get a chance test voltage between the two gas valve wires directly at the control board as well.

Ended up being the capacitor for the circulator blower.
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 3 months ago

Thank you for the update! That's strange that it was giving a 6 and 7 flash code - should've been 4 flashed indicating open limit. Glad it was taken care of!