HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My Goodman 5 ton ac compressor installed 10/17 has a LOUD…

My Goodman 5 ton...

My Goodman 5 ton ac compressor installed 10/17 has a LOUD groaning noise when it begins running, then quiets somewhat for rest of operation. A quieting blanket has been installed. What are my options reduce this noise to a reasonable level?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since cooling season, here in Gilbert Arizona began, probably June 2018.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2018
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Does unit do this in both heat and cool modes? And has installer checked charge on system?

My system is a ac compressor cooling/gas heat system, so it only groans on cooling.
No to the call for additional dollars, am already paying and have not received an answer. Until I receive some hard information, I am not willing to spend anything more.

OK since not a heat pump,you are correct.

The noise is normally caused by overcharge ,Have they actually checked the charge by subcooling?

I am unable to take phone call right now. The offer is site generated automatically. This will be presented to my colleagues if you request it so you may get a call from one of them if available.We can continue here to try to solve your problem

Please explain subcooling charge assessment procedure.

Back in the day we used to simply adjust charge by watching suction and head pressure and adjusting charge for a 15 to 20 degree drop across coil. I will send you a description of how sub cooling charging is done.Ne units require this type of charging

Customerare we still chatting?

Yes

Thanks, ***** ***** a long time. I understand, appears to be pretty simple method my installer should understand. So, I can contact a technician and have them do a system check for overcharging as a first step to solving the mystery?

Below is the proper procedure for charging the Goodman ac system by sub cooling:

1. Purge gauge lines. Connect service gauge manifold to base-valve service ports. Run system at least 10 minutes to allow pressure to stabilize. 2. Temporarily install a thermometer on the liquid line at the liquid line service valve and 4-6" from the compressor on the suction line. Ensure the thermometer makes adequate contact and is insulated for best possible readings. Use liquid line temperature to determine sub-cooling and vapor temperature to determine superheat. 3. Check subcooling and superheat. Systems with TXV application should have a subcooling of 8°F +/- 1.0°F and superheat of 8°F +/- 1.0°F. a. If subcooling and superheat are low, adjust TXV to 8°F +/- 1.0°F superheat, then check subcooling. NOTE: To adjust superheat, turn the valve stem clockwise to increase and counter clockwise to decrease. b. If subcooling is low and superheat is high, add charge to raise subcooling to 8°F +/- 1.0°F then check superheat. c. If subcooling and superheat are high, adjust TXV valve to 8°F +/- 1.0°F superheat, then check subcooling. d. If subcooling is high and superheat is low, adjust TXV valve to 8°F +/- 1.0°F superheat and remove charge to lower the subcooling to 8°F +/- 1.0°F.

Do you know if the installer took time to do this?

Your contractor SHOULD be familiar with the terms and procedures. But often in the hussle of busy season, a contractor may fail to take the time to do this. For example if they are finishing up the job and it is getting late in the evening, they might skip this as it is indeed time consuming adding up to an additional hour or so to the install.

Pretty confident the installer did not take short cuts. He has been in the business for 30 years and installed two systems for others in my family with excellent results, but anyone can make a mistake or overlook a step. So this is the place to start with him or another technician and "charging the ac system by sub cooling" is what I need to have checked, if I am understanding you.
Sounds like we are on the same page when it comes to reality of work, especially in a ac market like Phoenix. Your suggestion?

In answering your question. My first suggestion is to start by having them check the charge by sub cooling.An overcharged system will indeed cause a noisy compressor in start up and/or shut down. Beyond that I would have him concentrate on the indoor metering device.

OK, final question to help me understand what I should expect of the process: since it is next, what is the indoor metering device?

Depending on which air handler you have there will be either a fixed orifice metering device or a TXV (thermal expansion valve) installed at the indoor coil.This device meters the rate of refrigerant that enters the coil based on temperatures and demand.Most of todays coils use the TXV .Many are adjustable.When the compressor comes on it is pumping refrigerant to the indoor cool to pick up heat as air is blown across the coil.

Thank you, ***** ***** knowledge I am now ready to go out, get a set of gauges and start working on my compressor. On second thought, I will call a technician and have them trouble shoot using what I know to better understand what they are doing!

Yeah better to have them do especially since under warranty.If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

ThanksCustomer you again gave good advice! I will check the stars and hopefully not have to follow up.

I am here most everyday.Feel free to let me know results

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
I will let you know what I find out. Bye

Thanks for letting me work with you