HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

In addition to a MERV 11 unit filter, what kind/type of

filter can we place inside...
In addition to a MERV 11 unit filter, what kind/type of filter can we place inside the vent exchanges that are in the ceiling? Are is this necessary?
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2018
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

What is the model on the unit you are referring to.Is this for a central system or an air exchanger?

If you are referring to a central system,

Installing filters in the supply ducts is not recommended.
First, they hide a problem without solving the problem. If you have “things” blowing out of your AC vents, then you have a problem. There could be many sources for this “stuff”. Possible sources are as follows:
1.duct system is dirty and needs cleaning;
2.your air handling unit is dirty and needs cleaning;
3.your ducts are not properly sealed and are sucking in dust from the attic; or
4.your ducts have some sort of internal lining that has started to deteriorate.
These are all problems that need to be addressed.

Aside from hiding your problem, vent filters can actually make a dirty system dirtier. Especially if you have any mold in the system. This is because the filtering media will catch the spores. When the system cycles off, the spores will have warmth, darkness, and moisture. These are the ingredients for mold growth.
n addition, your AC system was designed for certain airflow. If you restrict the airflow, then you create backpressure on your system. This causes the components to work harder. So, now you are reducing the life of your equipment and increasing the amount of energy your equipment uses.
Your AC system should have a proper fitting filter on the return side. By placing a good fitting, high quality filter on the return vent, you will remove particles from the air before they can enter the AC system. A good filter will keep your air handling unit, coils, and ducts clean. If your filter doesn’t fit properly, it can be as bad as having no filter.If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
The unit, a heat-pump, was installed new when the house was built in Nov 2006. We have used MERV 8 return air filters on both adjacent areas where the air returns, and believe the ducts are in tact as there has been nothing to disturb them in the attic. We were just wondering if a filter would help my wife's allergies in the ceiling vents. So, we will not do anything with them, but will increase the return air filters to MERV 11 as you have earlier suggested. We have had the unit serviced now and then.

Thanks for allowing me to help.AS mentioned supply registers should not need filtering and increasing to the merv 11 is already changing static pressure slightly so we definitely do not want them is supply.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician