HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

What terminal dose the black wire go to, For the last hour,

What terminal dose the...

What terminal dose the black wire go to

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

For the last hour

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yse

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We have the white to the w terminal and red to red terminal and green to g terminal

1/22/2018
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

hello, do you just have a gas furnace with ac?

If you have a gas furnace..

we use terminals R,W,Y,G

R is power in and usually red

W is for heat

Y is for ac

G is for the indoor blower

Do you have a wire on Y yet?

What terminal do we put the black wire

Your wire is not the traditional color code...that is why I asked if you have a wire on Y terminal yet?

We don’t have a yellow wire

I understand,...that is the problem...you do not have the correct color coded wire, so someone just used the black as something else....I am thinking your black goes on Y..if there is no wire on Y then you do not have any ac. Do you have access to the indoor furnace?

we connected the black wire to the yellow terminal and still no responds

if you touch the red wire to the green...does the indoor blower start?

the blower stared
The fan works but the heat doesn’t come on

now red to white...does heat start

red wire is not in the terminal and the fan is running

Take the red wire...and just the white wire...no terminals....twist the red wire to the white wire..does the furnace start?

it stared

Thank you....now last...take the red wire and the black wire and connect together...does the outdoor ac unit kick on?

No it is not working

and there are no other wires?..only red, black, white and green?

AC worked with the same wires on the old thermostat

do you only have red, black, white and green wires?

Are you still there
That are the only wires we have

the only choice for the black wire is Y...we know the white wire is heat the green wire is blower...that leaves only the black wire for ac....have you tried the old thermostat again? I think the issue is not related to thermostat....the black wire is the only choice left and red to black should start the ac outdoor unit

We bought a new terminstat because the printing was to small. It worked just fine.
It was a honey well also

Put the old back on and try it...I am betting it does not work on ac....either there is a delay timer in the ac or something is wrong, power off etc....but we have one choice for a ac wire and it is the black...and red to black actually bypasses the thermostat and does a direct call for ac.

In ac the thermostat connects red to green for the fan and in your case red to black for the outdoor unit.

Try your old thermostat and see what happens

We put the old thermostat on and now it’s not working
The old thermostat is working now. The only think different is that on the old thermostat there is a jumper wire from the r to the rc
our old thermostat is working so now how do we get the new one to work?
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I am Gaztech1, I will assist you with your issue.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE if we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

What is the exact make and model of new thermostat?

The make is a Honeywell model t5/5-1-1 rth7460D

Thanks, ***** ***** please

Did you do configure thermostat with system setup ?

the only difference is that the old one had a jumper wire from the R terminal to the RH terminal.

Can you put that jumper on new thermostat

Of course I can but in the instructions it says no jumper wire with this thermostat.

Did you flip the bridge for R/RH

How do you flip the bridge?

Just put jumper

\

What do you mean ,just put jumper.

Can you put that jumper from old thermostat on new thermostat... NOW!!!

I can but I was concerned about the instructions saying no Jumper wire on this thermostat, If it doesn’t wreck any thing I will put jumper in.

You cant damage it doing jumper

Thank you we will do the jumper then.

Always Shut power to furnace while doing thermostat wiring

Now, Power up furnace and try new thermostat

We can’t get the two wires in the same hole. That is the jumper wire and the red wire
The furnace is working

Good Job!!

I noticed question is still open

Please Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE if we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

Best regards

Gaztech

Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician
Gaztech
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician