HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I HAVE A pOLOPA TANKLESS GAS WATER HEATER AND IT KEEPS GOING…

I HAVE A pOLOPA...

I HAVE A pOLOPA TANKLESS GAS WATER HEATER AND IT KEEPS GOING OFF WHILE running hot water and thermstat reads C8

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I am not sure..it kicks on runs for a bit then stops and displays C8 then I wait turn it back on and it does the same thing

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have had it since 2009 and this is first time issues.although it's been doing it a little bit

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have a large air tub that we fill which is what we were doing. it is model # PTG-74PVN-2

1/22/2018
canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Is there any other code after the C8? What size gas supply line is connected to it and what type of gas line? How old is the water heater?

76 comes up and it is natural gas. I have had it since 2009.

What type of gas supply line is connected and what size? Has it ever been serviced? Are there gas regulators on any other gas supplied appliances?

Natural gas 3/4 inch never been serviced never had a problem..yes I have gas furnace

What type of gas pipe is the supply? Is it black iron or flex pipe? Is there a regulator on the gas supply of the gas furnace?

flexible and there is a supply valve

There is a gas regulator on the water heater and the boiler? A gas regulator is not a shut off valve. It kind of looks like the original star ship Enterprise from Star Trek.

there is one on the water gas line yes

There is one on each or only the boiler?

one on each..when you say noiler sre you refering to my gas furnace..

Yes, or really any other gas supplied appliance. Are you planning on doing any repair needed yourself or just trying to get an idea what is at issue before calling someone out?

if it is doable yes myself..but need to know what the problem is..displays c8 code and 76..what do they mean?

The code means that there is a communication error with the controller. The fix is the first turn the unit off and disconnect the controller from the water heater and see if the water heater works without the controller. If it does work then replace the thermostat wire for the controller and see if the water heater operates with the controller connected with new wire (or you may find that one of the connector wires has come loose). If you disconnect the controller wire and the water heater still does not work then it would indicate a failed controller board and the board would need to be checked out. You would check out the board by checking all of the connectors are connected and pushed in. If it still did not work then the board would need to be replaced. Rheem would likely provide a free board if you contact them at that point.

So to make a short story long, it is either a failed remote, loose wire on the remote or control board. The same error could be shown if it was in need of descaling which should be done yearly although no one really ever does.

I will do the wire check etc and if descaling is needed I will do that as eell. Thanks for your help.

You are very welcome

You can still comment or ask questions even after positively rating my service. I am happy to continue to help and will always respond.

canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman