HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My carrier furnace is not turning on. Thermidistat is blank.

My carrier furnace is...

My carrier furnace is not turning on. Thermidistat is blank. Error codes is 33.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

16 years old. Got error message 15 years ago, runnng perfect since then.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Model number 58mvp060

1/21/2018
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy. Is the main blower running during 33 code?

If I turn the main power off, then on. The blower spins up.
The 33 then resumes flashing.

Thank you....do you mind removing the front door and doing a small test for me?

No problem. Front door off.

See HERE

looking for a rectangle flat plate with 2 wires attached. Let me know if you see what I refer to

THere is a box at the top with 2 red wires on the right side.

Can you take a pic and post here? Then I will draw exactly what we need to check in 2 different places.

working on moving pic

great...just a moment while I make notes

first task HERE...working on next

Pressed.
It clicked.

Is code 33 now gone?

Upper motor spinning. No flashing codes. Flame on.
Thermidistat on.

Ok,

This trip can be a nuisance trip.....wind, critter was in exhaust, etc...or it can be an issue with the heat exchanger itself. If it starts tripping regularly you will need to call for service.

Billy

I think that we are good.

Great news...

Just rate service ( 5 star system) to close.

Have a great evening

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
The furnace ran for a few days. It then gave a different code, 42. I replaced the draft inducer motor/fan assembly.
If I reset the rollout switch, the furnace will start consistently, then shut down giving a error code 33.
Both the draft inducer and main blower spin. The rollout switch trips and flame box is hot. Is there anything more that I can check myself?
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Are you having to reset the rollout every time before it will restart?

It seems that the main blower is not going to full speed, then the rollout switch overheats opens. The main blower stays on the low setting.
I ran a snake through the intake and exhaust pvc pipes outside. Was able to push 3 feet of snake in with no snags.

OK the rollout will only open if the flame is rolling and and touching it or if chamber is getting extremely too hot.

If blower is not going full speed weneed to find out why.Do you have a capacitance meter to check capacitance on the fan run capacitor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdFIARakavk

Definitely on my desk at work. Let me see if I have on in the house.

OK we will go from there.

Ok. I called a computer tech at work to look at my multimeter. No farads on multimeter. Tech suggested starting furnace, switch furnace off and turn fan(blower) on manually. I tried that and the fan/blower went on full.

OK fan has two different speeds.Low speed for fan and high speed in COOL or fan on position so that really does not tell you anything.

Low speed for Heat it should say

The fan is coming on low and high. Does that mean the start capacitor is good?

If fan is running as fast as it should (approx. 800 to 1000 cfms in heat and 1200 to 1600 cfms in cool) capacitor is not the problem.

So are you saying in heat mode your air at registers feels normal or feels lower than normal

I think that the furnace has 2 fan speeds. It only uses high if the differential from ambient to thermostat setting is large, like 5 degrees. It is on high in the morning when I wake-up as I keep it set low while asleep.
I just ran the on board diagnostic. Blower and inducer checked out at both high and low settings during diagnostic (code 11).
What should I be checking now?

If flame is not coming out of chamber, replace the rollouts

Just replaced the rollout switch. No change.

OK if you replaced rollouts there has to either be another limit somewhere on the furnace that is opening or your board is failing. Do you have a multi meter to check the limit circuit?

I have a multi-meter with volts, amps and resistance, but not capacitance.

Lets check continuity on the limit circuit

I will get a manual and look at wiring to tell you how to do this.

Here is a link to the manual to my furnace, if it helps: https://www.manualslib.com/download/558737/Carrier-58mvp.html

Have the manual but just realized you have already accepted an answer from a different technician.We work on commission so he has already been paid.The only way for me to be compensated for my time since you have rated other expert's answer is to offer you an additional troubleshooting service.The fee is 28 dollars.If you want me to continue just let me know and I will present the offer.Otherwise I can opt out and hopefully previous expert will provide follow up.

I signed up for the subscription today. Not sure how that factors in.
i did post a new question, so this one would not need to be continued.

I thought so to but scrolling up I see it now shows as original question and rated already.so someone flagged it as a duplicate. I usually do not see other experts questions unless they opt out.

What should I do then, considering that I signed up for a subscription today?

ASk a new question and I will reply and we will go from here. No one should be ale to flag it.

60 seconds.

OK