HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Wanting to replace th8320u1008 thermostat with th8320wf1029.

Wanting to replace th8320u1008...

Wanting to replace th8320u1008 thermostat with th8320wf1029. Have heat pump with gas furnace back-up. Current thermostat has a nine wire configuration and can't determine where all nine go in new thermostat.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I've been reviewing the wiring block only so far to try and understand those differences

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

That was intention

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Again, i know where current nine wires are going in current wiring block......how do i know where to place in new wiring block?

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2018
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

List the wire colors and what connector they are on on the old one please.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Current is
Red to RC
Orange to OB
Yellow to Y
Green to G
Blue to C
White to E
Black to AUX
Brown to S1
Gray to S2

You would connect them all the same, but if the new thermostat does not have an S1 and S2 tape them off as they will not be used. Do the rest match up then?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
New thermostat has E and AUX combined so unsure how to do white and black wires

Do you have a W1, W2 and then E and AUX?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
New thermostat has
Y2
L
E/Aux
K
S1
S2
All above on left side
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Saw answer above that says wire same as current. Does that mean ok to put white and black wire together into same terminal E/AUX?
Current block has E and AUX as separate terminals

Then you would have to put Black and White to Aux/E that is not the ideal thermostat to use for your setup though since you have 3 stage heating with emergency heat.

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Your answer says not ideal. My question is will it work as it currently does or will something change? Gas furnace takes over for heat pump at certain lower temp and I want that to continue. You say not ideal but just don’t understand what may not function?

You have 2 stage heating with emergency heat, so basically when it goes to AUX heating it will run both second stage heating and emergency heat functions at the same time.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you

No problem at all.

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH