HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Carrier gas furnace won't ignite. Fault code 31. It will run…

Carrier gas furnace won't...

Carrier gas furnace won't ignite. Fault code 31

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the pilot light?

It will run blower after 5 minutes

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Model 58mcb060

1/20/2018
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

A 31 error is a draft pressure switch (see attached pic) error. The question is do you have a bad switch or a weak fan ( is the draft fan running?) or a blocked exhaust vent. You can check the vent for blockages and also the vac tubing connected to the switch. Be sure the tubing is not kinked, deteriorated or doesn't have water in it. You can also poke a paper clip into the port where the tubing connects but not into the switch connection. If all that checks out. Turn the power off to the unit wait a couple minutes then turn it back on. After the fan starts remove one of the leads from the pressure switch and connect it to the other lead. If the sequence continues then you may have a faulty pressure switch or possibly a weak fan. The next thing we would do is put a manometer on the exhaust to check the actual draft pressure but you aren't likely to have a manometer and they are expensive. Replacing the switch is one other option since it's less money than a manometer (or a new draft fan) and it is a likely culprit.

The furnace never ignites but the inducer fan will run after a couple of minutes

If you want to fix this yourself you need to follow the troubleshooting steps I outlined earlier

The inducer should start up immediately upon a call for heat

Ok. After jumping the pressure switch it ignites
After the 5 minutes when the fan starts

So you're saying you have a call for heat and it takes the draft fan 5 minutes to start up? If so does now that it fired up does it still take 5 minutes for the draft fan to start? Did you check the the other possible culprits?
Please differentiate between the draft fan and the main blower that moves air through the vents.

it takes 5 min. Pull switch leads and connect together then it ignites blow comes on. I letgo of the wires igniter goes off fan stops after a minute. Inducer will then start again since calling for heat.

Ok, so if you ruled out all the other possibilities I listed before then you either have a weak fan or a bad switch.

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor