HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I cannot find ANY installation videos that match my

Customer Question
Hi....I cannot find ANY...

Hi....I cannot find ANY installation videos that match my Honeywell RTH22B thermostat that I just bought. I don't understand how to get the wires into the black part

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I am trying to replace my old, 2 wire thermostat. I understand where the wires go but don't understand how to get them in there. all the videos have you putting the wire in and screwing it tight. the thermostat I bought does not have screws

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Trying. and it's getting cold in here

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Only that I am INCREDIBLY frustrated right now sorry

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
1/19/2018
HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 1 month ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

H​ave you separated the backing plate from the thermostat? These are 2 piece units that need to be separated before installing the 2 halves.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I actually have the back plate for the new thermostate installed. I just can't figure out how to get the wires into the new one.

O​k I can assist you on this, I understand how they can be frustrating at times. If you can upload a photo I so I can see what you have so far that would be helpful and I can better explain the necessary steps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the back plate is installed. there is a u shaped wire in the new thermostat where I would put the "R" wire. I cannot figure out how to get the wire in the "r" and the "W". It's not easy because it is not mounted on the wall. You have to try to get the wires in the correct holes.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you there?

O​k these mounts should have little screw heads on them like the size of eyeglasses. If you back the screws out just enough you should be able to insert the wires and then tighten them down so the are secured.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that't the problem. there are no screw heads. all the videos for this model show screw heads. there are not any. its just a black plastic "box" that you pull forward and slide the wires into. BUT I can't slide the wire in because there is a u shaped wire in one of the 2 holes that I need to use

O​k please forward a photo so I can see what you have. If this is a snap in type (installation manual shows screws) then there is usually a spring release you may need to depress in order to get the wires into.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can I forward form my phone to an e-mail or text it?

That wire is a jumper wire

Yes email or text is fine, however I do not see any contact info listed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
for me? I will send it to you via email. what is the e-mail address

Sorry we are not allowed to provide personal emails, so it would need to be the other way.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
text me at(###) ###-####and I will try sending.

Ok

Did you receive text?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
pics are sending
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
did you get them? says they sent

Ok I see the problem. The black connection block came apart and is locked into the front. The screws are on the other side of the black block. Basically the thermostat is defective and should be returned for a replacement thermostat. I recommend before leaving the store to make sure you have a good thermostat by opening up the package and making sure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you know, it even shows in the instruction manual that came with the thermostat that there are screws that you tighten down after you put the wires in. This thing does not have any screws. am I supposed to that the u shaped wire out of those holes? if so, how? I tried and it isn't moving. I am freezing. it is 20 degrees outside and heat has been off for going on 2 hours.

I understand Amy, but the thermostat is faulty. The part you need has separated inside the 2 halves of the thermostat, it needs to be returned.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how is that possible? the mounting plate separates, they show that in the instructions. there is no way the black connector parts would stay on the mounting plates.

It does and should, but somehow this came apart or was not installed correctly, this is why you are fighting with it. The screws are on the front side of that black block you can see the ends of them in the photo you sent me. I can help you restore heat temporarily until you get it replaced.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 5 days ago

Hello, I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been replied too, however I did respond with an answer back on January 19, 2018 and therefore I am wondering if that has resolved the problem you were experiencing. I would greatly appreciate a reply email, so I can complete this open question, or just let me know if you need further assistance, and I can continue to look for another solution.

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor