HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Trying to add Aprilaire 600M to Lennox furnace with iComfort…

Customer Question
Trying to add Aprilaire...

Trying to add Aprilaire 600M to Lennox furnace with iComfort tstat.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

What does the filter have to do with a humidifier

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Is there a human available to help me?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
Ideally, I want to use the icomfort thermostat built in humidy control. THe humidifier is installed and working but solenoid is always on (if humidistat demands it), even when furnace is not heating. I need to tie in the solenoid control to the furnace. My control board has two HUM connectors which look to be a dry contact but they do not produce voltage nor do the ever close during the heating cycle.
Humidifier is an Aprilaire 600M, furnace is a Lennox SL280UH. Control board in furnace is 103130-03.
Thermostat is an iComfort wifi model, I cannot access the menu needed to "add equipment" since I am just a homeowner
This is a farce. "Technicians are waiting to answer your questions". I want to cancel this question and ask for a full refund.
1/20/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, a sail switch is most commonly used in the supply air duct leaving the furnace, and wired in series with one of the wires attached to HUM at the thermostat... so that power only gets to the humidifier solenoid if air is blowing through the air duct.

.

That is the most common approach... there are other approaches involving the low speed function of your blower motor... that can get complex depending on what type of blower motor you have.

.

We can go from here without any time limits.

.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible!
I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Maybe it's how justanswer works but I decided to pay for an answer from a pro who was "waiting to help me". While waiting 3 hours for a reply, I found the answer to my question on my own. To access the "service" menu on my iComfort WiFi thermostat, I needed to press and hold the "Lennox" logo for 5 seconds. The thermostat service menu allowed me to add a non-communicating humidifier to the system. The HUM connectors on my furnace controller are a dry contact (can be used with 24VAC or 120VAC) but they would not open/close until the thermostat was told that there was a non-communicating humidifier in the system. So, no offense to you for taking 3 hours to get back to me as maybe that is how just answer works but, as you know, time is money. To get an immediate answer to my question was worth $28. To wait longer than it takes for me to find the answer on my own is not worth anything to me.