HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My vintage forced air furnace of about 1966 manufacture

recently cracked a fire box...
My vintage forced air furnace of about 1966 manufacture recently cracked a fire box and the tech strongly recommended that I buy a new replacement furnace to heat my 1400 square foot home. I don't know of a local HVAC mechanic who could source used parts on EBAY and rebuild the unit, so I am now looking at a Thermopride unit with one thermostat and an electronic air cleaner add-on for about $6,500 including labor on the new install. But before buying that unit I would like to know what other forced air units that run on heating oil could be compared. My biggest concern is parts availability, one, two, three years down the road when a blower or some circuit board goes out, and it is made offshore and not easy to get. I have read some agonizing reviews of parts availability for ThermoPride online. Ideas welcome.
Should I shop these?
1. Carrier
2. Trane
3. Maytag
4. Carrier
5. Ruud
6. Goodman
7. Armstrong
8. Rheem
1/19/2018
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Thermopride is not a major brand so parts availability is more limited. All of the brands you list are more mainstream and part are much more readily available. Note that Ruud is made by Rheem and Maytag by Goodman.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
far, Rheem and Maytag show Natural Gas fired, and I am looking for a Home Heating oil fired unit. Not sure where to begin to locate a major name brand that burns home heating oil. That is my first task. Any thoughts?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Am getting over a cold, so I would be coughing too much to talk on phone.

They all make oil fired units. I don't know where you're looking but generally oil fired units are much less common.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
then if google search is not getting me oil fired units, I would go their corporate website?I guess local fuel companies would then bid on the job once I locate a manufacturer with a model number?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I found one home depot unit, not sure who manufactures that one.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Patriot-80-by-Century-125-000-BTU-Lowboy-Rear-Flue-Oil-Furnace-OLRB125-D5-1A/204833971

You want to buy the furnace form the installer. In the unlikely event you can source one yourself, if you provide it the any warranty issues are on you. If the installer supplies it warranty service is their responsibility.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my phone conversation would highlight those 8 brands and see if they could deliver on major name brands like those, with their warranty. I assume I pay for an estimate unless they offer it as free no obligation in advance.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can use the yellow pages and call within a 20 mile radius of my house for estimates.

Most contractors offer free estimates. Just ask before you commit to getting one. Yes call around to local contractors.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In closing, is there one name brand that you think I should take a closer look at for forced air, oil fired unit?

They are are good brands. I'd be more focused on the quality of the contractor. Do they offer service or just install (avoid just installers). Get references and check them out once you narrow it down on price and who you feel comfortable with.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I think that answers my question, unless you want to add another comment.

That should cover it

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. Bye

You're welcome

Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor