HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My Takagi tk1s suddenly the weather cools to 30 degrees and…

My Takagi tk1s suddenly...

My Takagi tk1s suddenly the weather cools to 30 degrees and water heater refuses to come on ! this has happened twice now, is there a thermos to not come on when water gets too cold. tk1s is indoors about 10 years old

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Happened twice now today and last cold 2 weeks ago or so. live in florida

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The gfi was tripping out occasionally, but was reset easily

1/19/2018
canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Is there an error code? Is there no water altogether or does it just run cold? Do you have a circulation system?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no error code. just runs cold
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no circulation pump. live in central florida

Does it start hot then get cold? How old is the water heater and how often is it serviced?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
yesterday was fine. does not start. tankless water heater is 10 years old. decalcified 1-2 years as needed. clean strainer regularly.

I suspect the issue to be debris in the flow sensor. Possibly the cold is causing the metal to contract and the debris stops the flow sensor from functioning. It could also be a loose connection on the control board where the flow sensor connects to the board. I would check for loose connections on the control board, check that the dip switch settings are correct for elevation setting and also remove the screen plug and screen and turn the water on a bit and flush the line out (catching the water with a small bucket) to remove any debris. If any debris comes out then continue to do that until none does come out and replace the screen and plug.

The dip switch settings are in the manual which should be on top of the water heater or on the side.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will let you know when i am able to get back to it.

Most excellent.

canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
canuck the pro
canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman