HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a GSZ130421AE condensing unit and ARUF486016CA air…

I have a GSZ130421AE...

I have a GSZ130421AE condensing unit and ARUF486016CA air handler. The heat pump intermittently comes on and may operate a few minutes. When it stops operating, the air handler continues to run until it is switched off. The condensing unit may or may not start again.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The setting is 72 and filters are new.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if possible. I replaced the fan board today and nothing has changed.

1/19/2018
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

You may have more than one issue here.Let me get some details.

1.Is this a new system or did it used to work and just started doing this?

2.Has thermostat or any other changes been made?

3.Does it do this in heat mode cool mode or both?

4.ARe you a technician or homeowner and do you have tools for troubleshooting?

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be able to work with you on this today.Please be patient as I respond as sometimes it takes me a few moments to gather proper manuals and specifications on your equipment in order to provide accurate answers.Please wait until we are finished to rate my answer.Hopefully at that time I will have earned a five star rating.Now just to let you know, the website does offer a live phone call for one on one discussion for an additional fee. Due to my current work load and responsibilities I may not be available for the live phone call but along the way, the website will automatically present the offer.Please note that there is an additional cost for the service and if a technician calls it may be a different technician. However we can continue here as long as needed .

The system is 4 years old (Goodman). The thermostat has not been changed or checked. The cool is fine but the heat is the problem.
I am a homeowner not a HVAC tech but have experience with repairing a vast variety of electrical/electronic equipment as well as mechanical. I have ac gauges, freon, volt meters and various other tools.

THanks for this information. Now lets start with the issue of the outdoor unit.Since unit works fine in cool mode I suspect the TXV (Metering device) in the outdoor unit may be sticking and be the culprit for outdoor unit not staying on.The only difference between heat and cool modes is that in Cool mode the TXV at indoor coil meters refrigerant and in heat mode the txv at outdoor coil meters refrigerant.

If the txv sticks closed that will create a restriction and unit shuts down on low pressure

If we connect gauges and watch pressures do you think it will fail while we are watching them?Or does it sometimes run quiet a while?

I can get the gauges connected and switch from strip heat to heat pump and see if outside unit will immediately start. Its erratic.

That would be great, See if the suction starts to drop and head starts to rise just before it shuts down.Remember to connect the suction gauge to the true suction port rather than the large valve since we are in heat mode.

66 low 50 High. Outside temp 40

System is low on refrigerant.It will short cycle soon if it has not already

t 40 degree ambient we should be at about 125/350

Unit has not started. I had strip heat on before I switched and after connecting gauges

LOL. Let me know when it starts.

I can switch gauges but each is calibrated for 410a

UNit should be 410a isn't it?

UNit came on yet?

Nope but the blower is working

UNit seriously may be too low for it to come on. Manually energize contactors and watch gauges

Ok I’ll take the cover off and let u know. Hang on

Take your time

Ok
It’s off .

Watch gauges while depressing and see what pressures do

No change. It’s making a rattling sound below the fan

THat's not good. Let's try cool mode since it WAS working on cool mode.

Ok. Its in cool mode

anything come on and if so what are pressures?

It’s on. I’ll ck pressure

OK

16 large line 25 small line

System should not even stay on with pressures that low

Ac works.

Feel of copper lines and tell me if one is really cold as it should be in cool mode?

It just cycled back on and they are about the same, although the suction is insulated. Wierd. When the heat works, the high side is cold and now it and the low side is cold.

I don;t thin the compressor is pumping.The large line should be so hot you can't touch with about a 350psig head in heat mode and the large line should be beer can col and running about a 300 head

THis unit should be under warranty for another 6 years so I recommend getting a Goodman dealer out there to see what is going on.WE have already spent an hour and a half, way beyond a simple question and answer and am no closer to a resolve than when we started.

I think you are correct. I appreciate your help and will get the local distributor to do something about it.
Thanks for you time.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.
Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician