HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Rheem gas furnace RGRA10EZAJS that purges air then blows…

Rheem gas furnace RGRA10EZAJS...

Rheem gas furnace RGRA10EZAJS that purges air then blows cold air for a minute, stops, purges again, then flames and blows hot. Or sometimes after first purge does hiccup purges again then flames. Repair shop tells me I have to wait for it to quit all together before they can fix it. It's cold outside.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes, thermostat OK. Filter on cold air return OK.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. Want to tell repair shop what to look at.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Gas is from well on property. Repair man checked gas pressure and said OK.

1/18/2018
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician

HI I AM DAN I CAN HELP YOU WITH THIS. IT SOUNDS LIKE THE FURNACE IS TURNING OFF ON A SAFETY SWITCH. THE MOST COMON SWITCH THAT TURNS IT OFF LIKE THAT IS THE PRESSURE SWITCH. OR IT MAY NOT BE SENSING THE FLAME PROPERLY. THE FIRST STEP WOULD BE TO SIT AND WATCH IT LOOKING AT THE CIRCUIT BOARD AND WHEN IT ACTS UP THE LED LIGHT WILL FLASH AN ERROR CODE, COUNT HOW MANY TIMES IT FLASHES

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No flashes. When it acts up both green lights stay steady. It always flames on the second attempt, the yellow light comes on and sounds as if the flame is louder then when burning at other times.

ok the things I would check would be the ignitor and the pressure switch since it will be one of those acting up

Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician