HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Billy. It's Chicago. I am going to hook up a humidifier

Hi Billy. It's Chicago Dave...
Hi Billy. It's Chicago Dave. I am going to hook up a humidifier tomorrow to a Goodman furnace Model #GMV951155DX. Do you happen to know if there is a 110v connection which only energizes when the furnace turns on which I can run over to the outlet which will only provide power to humidifier while furnace runs.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/18/2018
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I am Gaztech1, a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE if we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

Just dont use transformer they supply in the kit and just plug Humidifier to terminal W and C on furnace control board. it will give 24 volts and will start only when furnace is heating

Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician
Sounds easy enough. Thanks for your help. Dave
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

Hi Dave...Billy here.

Actually it is not recommended to put the humidifier in the same circuit as the gas valve...which is what W terminal does. This puts 2 loads on the W circuit and this was found to affect the gas valve. That is why the extra transformer is sent and no install instructions say " just wire in the W circuit".

Many boards actually have humidifier terminals for this reason....and yours does also. It is a dedicated HUM terminal on the board that feeds 115v when the unit is heating. Here is a schematic showing you where to attach the transformer on your board SEE HERE

No manufacturer will state to install in the gas valve circuit...while it is quick and easy...it is a short cut not recommended.

I normally would not pop back in but I know you like doing things the right way.

Billy

Gaztech
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician