HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have an older carrier gas furnace 58GS100-JB it will run a…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older carrier gas furnace 58GS100-JB it will run a cycle, then when it hits the temperature and turns off it won't turn on again unless you reset the thermostat ? Any thoughts?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the pilot light?

Yes we actually changed the thermostat and the pilot is on and fine, once it turns off 7 out of 10 times it won't go back on again

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It really doesn't matter, I am thinking it might be time to shoot it?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No thats my issue. Some mornings I wake up and the thermostat is set to 68 and its 51 in the house?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
1/18/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 month ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, if the air filter is clogged the furnace will *appear* to cycle off on its thermostat setting but may actually be going off when it trips its high limit safety... requiring the reset you mention.

.

So make sure the filter is clean.

.

If that turns out not be the problem then a dirty flame sensor rod will not allow the burner to stay on ...so the furnace will try 3 more times to fire, and if that fails, will lock out, and you will perform the thermostat reset.

.

If you have a multi meter and want to spend a few hours trouble shooting:

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible!
I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer