HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

AMERICAN STANDARD FURNACE FREEDOM 80 SOMETIMES IT LITES AND…

Customer Question
AMERICAN STANDARD FURNACE FREEDOM...

AMERICAN STANDARD FURNACE FREEDOM 80 SOMETIMES IT LITES AND OTHER TIMES IT DOESNT AND THE FAN KEEPS BLOWING COLD AIR I SHUT IT OFF AND RESET IT THE IGNITER GLOWS AND THE GAS VLVE CLICKS BUT NO FIRE UNTIL I BLOW A LITTLE AIR IN THE GAS TUBE THEN IT LIGHTS

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

SET AT 70 WITH NEW BATTERIES AND NEW FILTER

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

GOING TO GIVE IT A TRY IM A MECHANIC BY TRADE

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

ITS BEEN CLEANED

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/17/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 4 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

If you are having to blow the gas to the igniter the burner tubes could have rust or debris or else you have a gas pressure issue.Did you remove the burners and clean them with a wire brush, concentrating on the feeder tubes?

https://i.imgur.com/IaqEu0T.png

they have been cleaned also replaced the flame sensor that was locatedbetween the 2nd and 3rd feeder tube it will not fire when i put the front cover back on
sometimes it will lite on its own other times it will go a couple of cycles and not lite but the fan kicks on and blows cold air

OK there is no other component in the circuit between igniter glowing and valve opening.If you had an open limit or pressure switch issue the ignitor would not light .As for the flame sensor it does not come into play until AFTER the burners light. Next step is to verify gas pressure in and out of valve. If you do not have a manometer or gas pressure tester , and other gas appliances work properly the gas valve is probably the culprit.Sounds like at times the diaphram in valve is not opening all the way.

a hot water tank is on the same gas line and its working fine
this is one of those 2 stage furnaces when it lites it is a low flame and after it warms up it sounds like a jet engine
when the furnace is working i can pull one of the wires off of the limit switch and it keeps running

You have more than one issue then. May be a failing board. Do you have a meter to see if we are getting 24v to the valve?

Have you already verified this?

just checked again 24v

Does the 24v stay constant when burners should be lighting?

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer