HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We have a Buderus boiler and water heater (ST 150) that was…

We have a Buderus...

We have a Buderus boiler and water heater (ST 150) that was installed in 2006 before we bought our home. The maintenance tech came out today for annual maintenance and he told us we need a new water heater. He suggested converting to an electric water heater (Bradford White). Is this the best option or should we replace with exactly what we have now?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

We noticed the pipe at the top of the water heater looked corroded when we moved in. We pointed it out to the maintenance tech each time they visited (this is the 4th time now) but until today they told us it was nothing to worry about. Today the tech actually took apart the top of the heather and it is pretty bad from the picture my husband sent.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We have contacted another professional to give us a second opinion but we haven't set up an appointment with him yet.

1/17/2018
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

An electric water heater is the most expensive way to heat water. What you have now is pretty energy efficient. I's stick with an indirect fired tank like you have now but replace it with a SuperStor Ultra which has a stainless steel tank and a lifetime warranty as well as being cost competitive.

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Thank you so much for your help. Great to have some "unbiased" guidance. Have a great day!

You're welcome

Hi Rick. We requested a quote for the replacement of our water heater. Are you able to tell me if it is reasonable if I send it to you? I don't want to know any specifics--I would just like to know if it seems exorbitant or if it is in the acceptable range for our situation.

Yes I can review the quote but the site requires that you post it in a new question thread. You can request me if you like.