HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Trying to connect a new ecobee4 thermostat to my gas

Trying to connect a...

Trying to connect a new ecobee4 thermostat to my gas furnace/AC. The control board shows wires attached to W,R,T,G screws, and the thermostat has connectors to W,R,Y,G. Since I don't have a common wire, I need to use a PEK adaptor to the control board. The T-wire use is confusing me, since they didn't use the Y-wire at the control board. Any suggestion?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the pilot light?

It's working fine with the old thermostat, no problem for 25 years. My question concerns how to connect the PEK to the control board, since they didn't use the Y-wire connector.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Don't think so.

1/17/2018
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Can you give me the mode on your furnace?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure what you mean by mode

TYpo MODEL So I can pull a manual)Welcome to the JustAnswer/Pearl website.My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be able to work with you on this today.Please be patient as I respond as sometimes it takes me a few moments to gather proper manuals and specifications on your equipment in order to provide accurate answers.Please wait until we are finished to rate my answer.Hopefully at that time I will have earned a five star rating.Now just to let you know, the website does offer a live phone call for one on one discussion for an additional fee. Due to my current work load and responsibilities I may not be available for the live phone call but along the way, the website will automatically present the offer.Please note that there is an additional cost for the service and if a technician calls it may be a different technician. However we can continue here as long as needed .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can't find model or original manual.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have photo of control board connectors, but that doesn't help.

Should be on a label above burners on inside panel.

https://i.imgur.com/U8b0GXT.jpg

Do you know brand?

Attach photo that may be enough

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lenox, but haven't found label

Use the "add file button and send me photo

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Model G1703-75-1

Thanks for your patience. The T on your board is actually C (common).

So if you had an extra wire in the bundle to thermostat you could attach it to C at thermostat and T on board and not need the pek adapter.

But since we only have 4 wires to thermostat this is what we will do:

R from board to R on Pek

W on board to W on Pek

G from board to G on Pek

Then we need a wire from the blue (along with the red from outdoor unit to Y on the Pek

Forgot to list but also a wire from T on board to C on Pek

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think I have it, but going to have to study email and draw it out. Pek has no C input, but has C output to board. Am still not sure about blue wire, whether to tie to Pek, with another wire, or take off board. Let me study this. Email?

Look it over and let me know of any questions.Here is what you will have :

Furnace------------(IN) PEK (OUT)---------------------Thermostat

R-------------------------- R/R---------------------------R

G--------------------------G/G---------------------------G

W--------------------------W/W--------------------------W

T---------------------------C

Red wire from outside----Y/Y(Blue) ---------------------Y

T on your board is C

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I read the Pek instructions as disconnect the wires from the thermostat and go Into the Pek, and wires Out of the Pek connect to the control board. I read your directions backwards from that. That is my confusion. Sorry

Does this make more sense now? If so let's connect everything

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I still see it backwards. Thermostat (Out) -------(In) PEK (Out)------Furnace control board. Only way it works with 4 in 5 out from Pek. Am I wrong?

I will draw it. 5 in from furnace 4 out to thermostat.Stand by

Drawing now.Stand by

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks for your extreme patience. I will give it a go.

Let me know. When we are done,If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician