HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Have a rheem classic heat is only blowing from 2 vents in…

Have a rheem classic...

Have a rheem classic heat is only blowing from 2 vents in one room rest very little air movement

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Both filters are new the blower on unit is working just no air flow in vent

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Possibly

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Like I stated one room in house has good air flow from vent rest of vents very little air

1/17/2018
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, so far it sounds like a flexible duct connect connection has broken. Tell me if this happened all of a sudden or developed slowly.

.

If you have a 'zoned system' there will be a zone control panel somewhere AND you will have two thermostats... Tell me if that is the case or not, we can go from there.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Decreased flow about a month ago only one thermostats.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As I stated one room has good air flow the rest have almost no air flow in vents.

Thanks, ***** ***** the problem down to a disconnected duct that feeds air to those areas, no longer getting air (98% chance) OR duct liner insulation that came loose inside the sheet metal box where all of the ducts attach... and has blocked those ducts going to the rooms with insufficient air..(2% chance of that).

.You will have to physically inspect to see whats actually happening.

.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
one more thing I took panel off side where blowers is . Started it up with panel off had good flow at all vents just cold air because of panel off

Thanks, ***** ***** like the return air duct is blocked, that can happen if SOFT flexible duct is used in the return duct, its plastic inside liner can get sucked flat blocking air flow... you can can also have insulation come loose from the sheet metal plenum that blocks air flow.

And of course a clogged air filter will cause the problem

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Don't think return blocked because of 2 vents in one room blowing air out as they should and they are longest run from unit

Your logic is good.... however you would not be getting good air flow through all of the vents with the blower access door removed if the return air duct was not blocked.

.

So what are we to make of that one?

.

It could be that your longest duct runs are laid in in a straight line with the main trunk line and that rooms that are not getting any air are on 90 degree tee's... so that when air flow is reduced it goes down the path of least resistance to the more distant rooms..

We know for sure however (thanks to your test) that with the blower access door removed, there is plenty of air in all the rooms... that points directly to a partially blocked return duct.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer