HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have an Aprilaire steam humidifier Model 800. It is two…

Customer Question
I have an Aprilaire...

I have an Aprilaire steam humidifier Model 800. It is two years old and apparently has not been serviced at all. Recent cold weather drove the humidity down to the point where we had to call a technician. He is suggesting a whole lot of repair and possibly replacement, I have scanned the manual and understand the basic operation. My question

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

The problem just came up with the cold weather. I guess my question is how do you determine if the canister need s to be replaced. Is it the electrodes?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It seems to me that I saw a comment that there was a model800 which was not performing and was replaced by a new version with the same number Is ***** true and if so would mine at two years possibly be one of the malfunctioning models

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/16/2018
HVAC Technician: Gaztech, HVAC Technician replied 1 month ago
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

-Mineral buildup on steam canister electrodes inspection is done before replacing any parts.

Inspect steam canister for severe mineral buildup on or around electrodes.

If severe mineral buildup is present, replace steam canister .

-Steam canister electrode corrosion

Inspect electrodes for surface corrosion or pitting. This is usually caused by a high chloride level in the supply water .

Replace steam canister

Parts usualy need to be replaced.

I have not heard of a bad batch for that model in the past 5 years

I noticed question is still openPlease Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE if we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.Best regardsGaztech
Gaztech
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician