HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Lennox furnace SL280UH070V36A-3 and I can see the…

Customer Question
I have a Lennox...

I have a Lennox furnace SL280UH070V36A-3 and I can see the ignitor glowing, but sometimes, (I think it's 5 or 6 times), though it's glowing, it doesn't ignite the gas.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yep... fine, but I installed a new one

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'd like to try. I have the manual. I pulled the cover off (power off first)... I think I read somewhere that the ignitor could possibly be slightly misaligned?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If the furnace fails to ignite, I've learned (if I'm home) to turn off the furnace switch, count to 5, then turn back on to initiate the ignition sequence... usually one of those 5 or 6 tries will achieve "ignition".

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/15/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, the igniter needs to glow very very brightly almost white hot ... if its glowing a duller red then it needs to be replaced.

.

IF the igniter is glowing very brightly, then use a wire brush and compressed to blow the dirt out of the burners and the slot along the front edge that lets the flame travel from one burner to the other.

.

We can go from there without a time limit.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.