HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Lennox Harmony III 2008 with 2 out of 4 zones used, works…

Customer Question
Lennox Harmony III 2008...

Lennox Harmony III 2008 with 2 out of 4 zones used, works perfectly with cooling, heating worked fine for 8 years but now not heating. Lennox unit shows 1010 code after 10 or so minutes of blowing air with no heating at all (house temperatures are at 64, call for 72 on thermostats . The manual states that the code relates to temperatures being too high on exit of the furnace, which makes no sense as the furnace is not lighting up at all. As far as the overall installation goes, the only difference since last year is a new thermostat, Honeywell with LCD, worked fine for cooling all summer but first time it is running for heat. I programmed it to gas furnace, no Y2 or W2 wires. Even switching it to off no change so

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes, I have powered down and started up the control unit multiple times, i have cycles the thermostats to AC and they worked fine, I have tried setting temperatures below current house temperature and then after 5 minutes et back up. The Lennox thermostat LEDs show red when both are asking for heat, and orange when I switch them to fan only so the thermostats seem OK. Air filters clean.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I live a long way out, so all I am trying to do is make sure I am not missing some trivial thing to test or fix, obviously if this is a complex troubleshoot or repair I'll call my AC pro to come out. I can check for example that all the transformers are delivering power and such basic things, also if a dict could be obstructed I can have a look.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The panel in the blower compartment shows green LEDs from time to time, but the third LED down (Status) blinks red from time to time, not sure what that means (if anything).

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/14/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, you most likely have a printed circuit board problem at the zone controller or inside the furnace, diagnosis will be complex.

.

Zone systems that work perfectly for both heating and cooling for years are not common at all, it takes very good Lennox dealer to pull that off... You will be best off dealing with them is possible.

.

If not and you have a lot of electrical, electronic controls experience and want coaching for a limit of two days let me know, and I will submit some options for you to consider.

.

Hi Phil, The answer took a while, I had to move on with my day (this is a second property, I do not live there on a daily basis). I guessed as much, the main control unit (Harmony board) seems OK, it records the thermostats and if I force the fan to run or switch to cooling it runs OK. I took the step of ordering the control board that sits in the furnace, never a bad place to start, replicated all the dip switches and put in all the cables and one can see if that fixes the problem (cost = the price of a repair guy coming out to look at it, and who would sell me the part for 170% of list price if that is the issue). The installation of this unit was correct in terms of settings and it has run flawlessly for 8 years without problems. However the cabling is very messy, done in a hurry at construction and therefore always the subject of suspicion regarding poor contacts. I did check the 24V power supply, it is OK. Being in an attic in a country home there is always a risk of insects obstructing vents with nests or debris, and that was really what I was looking for as advice which ones tend to be critical to allow the system to start in terms of delivering or relieving pressure. I will be installing the new part next Saturday, so best if we keep this channel open and see if the problem persists with a new control board.

Your plan will work, lets try the new board and then go from there if we have to.

.