HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a outdoor boiler. I use the honeywell TRIAC line volt…

Customer Question
I have a outdoor...

I have a outdoor wood boiler. I use the honeywell TRIAC line volt thermostat. The one I had worked well on manual mode. If went bad today and I replaced with a new one, same as the old. The fan will turn on for a few seconds then shut off then turn on again a few seconds later. I dropped the temp in the house to keep the fan off for the time being.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

The fan was working fine before the old thermostat went bad and I hooked up the new one.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on how involved it is.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nothing I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/14/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the control panel on the boiler , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Good Morning Phil, My boiler is a homemade boiler, made by a friend of mine. It's more or less a piece together system so there is not a wiring diagram. I have a fan separate from my furnace that is located at the opposite end of the duct system. I have a modular house and there is not enough room to put the unit by the furnace. The blower has its own thermostat that is a 120/240 voltage link. The one I had went bad. I purchased a new one that is identical to the original. I had the same issue when I initially installed the thermostat, when I switched it to manual mode from auto it seemed to fix the problem The fan itself has three fan speeds. There are four wires that come out of the fan. Black, Red, White and Blue, each colored wire indicates a fan speed. The high speed fan is White, so the white and black are linked to the thermostat with the same 12ga wire that was used to wire the fan and boiler. The fan also has a seperate fresh air intake that is located in the house with it's own filter.
Thank you in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Most fan motors are built to run on either 120v or 230 volts, the voltage you put the motor should match the voltage rating stamped on the motor.....

.

IF..there are 2 brown wires attached to the motor you need to buy a run capacitor rated for that motor and attach it there.

.

Wire the motor to run only on high speed, or low speed.... Never both. leave which ever speed wire you are not using disconnected. and cover the end of it with electrical tape.

.

white wire on the motor goes to one side of your 120volt supply... ONE of the colored wires goes to the other side of your 120volt supply (if its a 120volt motor) do not connect any of the other wires,.

The below is the information on the blower that I have. I see that this is a 115v blower. I think that this is beyond my ability as I am not certain how to install and what run capacitor that i would need. I do thank you for you time and information. It's gonna be a cold night!!!
Brand: A.O. SMITH
Condition: NEW
Model: F48H16A01
CAT #: DL1026
Series: GH05
Power Rating: 1/4 HP, 1075 RPM, 1 PH, 3 SPD, 115 VOLT, 3.5 RATED AMP, 60 HZ, 4.6 MAX AMP, 48Y FRAME
Weight: 12 LBS.
ERC #: RX-1276
Job #: 003
Location: Z-1 MIDDLE
Additional Notes: SHAFT SIZE: 4-1/2" LONG AND 1/2" WIDE

Good luck with it, there are likely serious wiring errors that will not be fathomable from here without a wiring diagram.

I understand. What is confusing to me is that it was working fine, with the exception of the initial start up, for 2 years and now it is acting up.