HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Have to jump R to Y for boiler to fire,,, Zone valves

Customer Question
...

Have to jump R to Y for boiler to fire,,,

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Zone valves calling for heat,,,just replaced McClain r8285d5001 and transformer

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Cple weeks

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Already have done the work,,,rewired new transformer and new control board. Can I send Pics

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/10/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

What's the model number of your boiler?

I need a better pic (in focus/readable) of the wiring diagram. Does the vent damper open?

I was going over the system and I had notice when I fire it up the vent wasn't opening ,,,while it was running (boiler) I changed the switch on the power board and it instantly shut the boiler off

You're bypassing all the safety devices by jumping to Y. If you have established a call for heat and the the damper doesn't open then the damper is suspect. If you jump anything it should be R to G. This bypasses the thermostats and zone valve end switches.

The damper kicks on as well when I jump R to Y

Any idea

Still waiting on a clear picture of the wiring diagram. Did you jump R & G? Jumping R & Y provides no useful info.

So what happens when you jump R & G?

It' the R and Y I jump,,,,it sets the damper in motion and fires the boiler,,,,as soon as I disconnect it shuts off

Since you don't seem to be willing to follow my instructions I'm opting out.

In what regard? U wanted more photos of the wiring schematic and I answered the question in regard to jumping the system