HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We live in Brickyard Landing in Point Richmond, a 64 unit…

Customer Question
We live in Brickyard...

We live in Brickyard Landing in Point Richmond, a 64 unit building in a larger complex.... We have hydroponic heaters and they are totally inadequate. Have you any experience with these systems and how best to enhance or replace?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

We replaced the thermostat, we replaced filters. It's just a very poor system. Our neighbors agree. It's been awful from the beginning, 12 years ago

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Laugh laugh....not qualified to do more than use a screw driver.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Sure, dod you have any experience with these hydro ponic units, how best to replace them, if possible?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
I'm not at home but do have the manual and manufacturer name, etc. which I can furnish later.
Answered in 1 day by:
1/11/2018
HVAC Technician: Gina-Moderator, Moderator replied 6 months ago
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Gina, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel. Thank you!
Thank you,
Gina~Moderator
I'd like some idea
Hello:
Thank you for your continued patience while I try to find an Expert to assist you.
Best,
Gina :)
HVAC Technician: Machinc, General Contractor replied 6 months ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
The least intrusive method could be auxiliary heat strips installed in your system . They cut on automatically when the temperature is below a certain point . They will supply the extra heat that the existing unit is unable to provide.
Right back with more ....
They are basically an electric heater so they will increase your electric bill .
While this may sound self conflicting with what your system is designed to do you will only be using the auxiliary heat under extreme conditions and under normal circumstances you would be using your energy efficient system.
More.....
Ok, thank you for this. Do you have an estimate on how many and how much $$ it might take for a 2 bed, 2 bath 1500 sf. home??
A meeting with your homeowners association
if you have one could help get things rolling .
If not just a request to your maintenance contractor to have the system evaluated .
Auxilliary heat may already be something the system is designed for but perhaps has not been installed . An evaluation of past performance and how much extra heat is needed can be made.
Rare occurrences may not justify the cost but a study is the best way to tell. A qualified HVAC can evaluate what you have and what can be added in the way of “Auxillary” heat.
More...
Auxiliary strips run several hundred dollars plus installation .
A very loose estimate without a visit to see the circumstances would be around a Thousand dollars .
Please consider this is a very off the cuff figure.And applies to a single system accessed in your apartment
Thank you for that. There are 63 other units with the same anemic system so some of my neighbors might be interested. Can we get a site visit and bid?
You would need to contact a local
This is a sample
http://ingramswaterandair.com/goodman-hk201-20kw-heat-strip-p-20595.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkoGaqvnQ2AIViCOBCh26-QOqEAQYAyABEgK8rvD_BwE
This could be a good solution if possible for your system.
They can evaluate your system and give a bid .
Doing everyone s might help get a lower price
Thank you for the help. I've reached out to a local heating expert.
Happy New Year!
You are welcome