HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I had a Rinnai EX11C installed in a small basement apartment…

Customer Question
I had a Rinnai...

I had a Rinnai EX11C installed in a small basement apartment (<500sq ft) last year. During that heating season the heater worked wonderfully. Kept the space warm and didn't seem to hardly run at all. This year, the heater seems to run constantly and I notice that the room temperature display never seems to move much. I thought this was because it had been so cold (averaging -15), but now that the outside temp is in the 20s it is still doing the same thing. I have a thermometer in the apartment about 10 feet off to the right of the heater and it shows an increase in air temp, but the display on the heater adjusts to an increase in air temp much slower than the external thermometer. This, of course, causes the heater to run almost continually. What could be causing the heater display to respond so slowly?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since the beginning of this heating season

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/9/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, if you have 'hard water' in your building or area, there will be a white crust of calcium carbonate building up around the hot water taps... if thats the case, then your water heater has that same build up inside and that is whats causing the problem.

click here please

.

A plumber can flush your water heater with white vinegar for $250 or so and most likely solve the problem... or you can do it yourself if you are really handy.

.

Let me know about that, we can go from there without any time limits.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

This has nothing to do with a water heater! This is a wall mounted propane heater for heating a room. Did you even read the question?

Yes, I read your question and jumped to the conclusion that it was a Rinnai water heater in order to get an answer to you more quickly

I will now take the time to pull the manual for you if that is ok... if not, let me know and I will opt out

that's fine

click here please, see page 6, make sure the combustion air vent is not blocked with dirt or such things as wasps nests, then see pages 12, 13 and 14for trouble shooting... your option is to look that over, then I walk you through each item step step... that will be fastest.

.

Or you can chose not read the manual I will step you through doing all these steps one at a time, that will take a few hours. No extra charge for that.

.

Nothing is blocking the outside vent. There is nothing on page 12-14 that addresses the issue. I have the owner's manual sitting in front of me and it does not talk about the problem I have. That's why I contacted you.

A bit about myself. I am 77 years old, with 58 years in the heating and AC business, I hired 27 men at peak, I spent the last 20 years consulting, and the last 9 of that here on Just Answer with a 98.3% positive rating.... that said... I have not seen or worked on every one of the heaters ever built.

I must rely on my knowledge of physics and how these things work generally and the manuals, then I persist until we get a solution...
let me know if that will work for you on your end, or if you would like me to opt out.

We can go from there

I think we are done here