HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Lennox furnace is showing ‘system is waiting’ on thermostat.

Customer Question
HVAC Company was called and...
Lennox furnace is showing ‘system is waiting’ on thermostat. HVAC Company was called and came out earlier today (this was after I ‘reset’ the furnace via the circuit breaker and everything was working ok) couldn’t locate any issues, ‘cleaned’ the furnace yet an hour later same error message came back on.Could this be an issue with the actual Wi-Fi thermostat?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/9/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, we can run some tests.

I think its either a thermostat problem. or more likely a bad printed circuit board in the furnace..

.

test 1. Gently pry the thermostat from the wall, if it does not come off easily it might be a type with a few retainer screws.

When you get the thermostat off the wall, if it has R, W, Y, G and maybe a C terminal, fit a jumper wire between the R and W terminals on the thermostat if the furnace comes on, the problem is with the thermostat.

Test 2. IF the furnace does not come on with test 1, then turn the thermostat OFF, then go stand next to the furnace, listening *intently... the inducer fan should come on, then 2 to 3 seconds later you should hear a faint click (that is the pressure switch closing) .... then 20 to 30 seconds after that two more faint clicks...(those are the igniter and gas valve relays).

Then the burners should ignite. you will hear the whoomp sound... then if the burners go out after 2 to 5 seconds let me know all about that.

Repeat this test several times until you are familiar with the sequence and sounds, tell me how far the furnace gets in the start sequence before it fails (in cases where it fails).

.

We can go from there without any time limits in the morning, I am off to bed shortly tonight.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.