HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We have a carrier induced combustion furnace. the motor is…

Customer Question
We have a carrier...

We have a carrier induced combustion furnace. the motor is making a low tone I have not heard before also there is a paraffin odor

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes. replaced 2 days ago

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would be hard to get service tonight.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We had service 2 days ago. this odor and noice occurred then the heat shut down.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/9/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, turn power off to the furnace, then remove the blower access door, and reach way back inside that area to the squirrel cage type blower wheel and tell me if you can spin it by hand or not.

.

Next feel the blower motor on the other side of the blower and tell me how not it is,

If the blower wheel is stiff the blower motor is bad. If its not stiff, then you might fix it by replacing its run capacitor, that is attached to the blower, its a metal can about the size of a package of cigarettes with two brown wires attached.

.

We can go from there without any time limits

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer