HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Non programmable T-Stat. It is a Honeywell RTH111B.

Customer Question
Pearl, I have a...

Pearl, I have a Non programmable T-Stat. It is a Honeywell RTH111B. We here changing batteries yearly for the last 5 years with no problems. Over the last 2 months we have went through 10 sets of batteries. some last 24 hours while other last up to a week. We replaced the T-Stat and are having the same issues. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

2 months

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is a simple fix yes?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No just continues to go through batteries and we have replaced the t-stat on the wall

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/8/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 6 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Are you using alkaline batteries?

We are and have been using Duracell Alkaline batteries
No thanks

Sounds very strange that batteries would drain down in less than a year using alkaline batteries unless there is some source of power draw on the thermostat .Does furnace and everything seem to be working properly?

Everything works properly until the batteries go down. It is a Ac/heat unit with gas. We replace the batteries and it works fine for 24 hours and up to a week sometimes. I would have attributed it to a bad pack of batteries but I bough another pack from different store.

That is definitely a strange scenario.There is nothing in the hvac system that should drain the batteries.I would try another thermostat, perhaps a different model .

We changed t-stat and kept same model. approx. 3 weeks ago. Still having same symptoms.

I would exchange for a different model. There is nothing in the system that would cause a power strain on batteries.

Thanks

Wish I had a solution like transformer drainng batteries but everything in the furnace is ac powered nothing to do with the dc batteries.