HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My goodman heat pump model ssz14361 keeps blowing fuses.

Customer Question
My goodman heat pump...

My goodman heat pump model ssz14361 keeps blowing fuses

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes nothing wrong there

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I checked for loose wires already but found none

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/8/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 6 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Finding a short can be difficult. Easiest way to find is by process of elimination.If you can get several fuses, we can try different things until we no longer blow fuse to locate the short.
1.Disconnect all thermostat and outdoor unit control wires from the terminals on indoor unit control board.Turn power on to air handler and see if fuse blows.If it blows, the control board in unit is shorted and will need to be replaced.If not move to step 2.
2.Next I want you to connect those wires back one wire at a time turning power off and on to air handler after each one to see when fuse blows. Reconnect in this order
R G W Y O and then C .
3. Go to outdoor unit. Disconnect the control wires going to Y,C,O and W where they first enter the unit. Turn thermostat to call for ac. If fuse still blows we have a short in those wires between indoor and outdoor units.Could be chewed or skinned, possibly nicked by weed eater, etc. allowing wires to touch and create short.If it does not blow,we know short is inside of the outdoor unit.Move to next step.
4. Reconnect those 2 wires .Then locate the contactor relay in outdoor unit. Remove the small control wires on the contactor coil.Turn on AC.If fuse does not blow, the contactor coil is shorted and contactor will need to be replaced.If fuse still blows we know short is between where wires enter unit and the contactor.Move to next step.
5.Reconnect the contactor wires.Follow the control wires from where they enter unit and see what component may be in that circuit .(Pressure switches, time delay, defrost control board, etc).Follow same procedure of disconnecting wires to each of those controls and see if we find one that seems to cause fuse to blow when in circuit.Also look for any place the small control wires may be touch a hot gas copper line in unit that may have melted sheathing on wire and be allowing copper to ground to pipe.
Let me know what you find and we wlll go from here.