HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Just installed new Honeywell model RTH8500 Wi-Fi thermostat.

Customer Question
Just installed new Honeywell...

Just installed new Honeywell model RTH8500 Wi-Fi thermostat. after wiring it I plug it into the wall plate and the digital readout doesn't come on. inserted the cr2032 battery properly and checked to make sure it ws a good battery. furnace comes on but no digital reADOUT

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

FURNACE WORKS fine with old Honeywell model RTH 6350.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. in the process right now

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/8/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 1 month ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Do you have a lead connected to the thermostat C terminal? If so do you have 24 vols AC across R & C?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a jumper already installed across R & C, I also connected a previously unused blue wire to the C terminal.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I installed the CR2032 battery in the proper slot, checked polarity,it was okay, the battery checked okay.

You'll short out the transformer if you jump R & C with C active. Just connecting a spare wire doesn't cut it unless the other end is also connected to furnace C. This is not a battery operated thermostat!

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer