HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Phil, we have a Carrier Infinity Weathermaer natgas

Customer Question
furnacethis week the limit switch...
Phil, we have a Carrier Infinity Weathermaer natgas furnacethis week the limit switch had to reset at lest 4 ties. We replaced the limit switch,ever since then the furnace runs but the top of the plenum gets really out .. so hot it burned my fingers. We decided to shut the furnace down and are using electric heaters and I fireplace to stay warm. the model is a 58MVP00 -10114. IT was installed in about 23 or 24 years go. We checked the filter and it was good just replaced before Christmas. I used to work as the bookeeer for a furnace company and remember that Carrier has heat exchanger problems inhe earlier units. Might we be looking at jet exchanger problem going In?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
1/8/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 month ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Issue is either blower not moving air across coil fast enough(Dirty filter,dirty blower wheel dityt ac coil on top of furnace or bad heat exchanger.

The 58MVP definitely was in the recall, but claims had to be made before August of 2008.

Below is a link to the settlement and lawsuit.

http://www.hipspro.com/pubs/Furnace-clasaction-detailed_notice.pdf

If filters, blower and ac coil are clean it is time to replace the furnace.

Not a bad idea at 23 to 24 years old as it has already out performed its life expectancy by almost 10 years.

If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.
Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician