HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I am looking for a troubleshooting guide for a York model…

Customer Question
I am looking for...

I am looking for a troubleshooting guide for a York model F+RP030H06A heat pump with ext Heat, can you help?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filter is clean.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It depends on the rout cause of the problem.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes, i just finished cleaning the coils in the unite in the attic, replace the fan wheel with a new one, new air filter, it heats during the day but seem to shut down during the night. we are have very cold weather more then usall here teens every night.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
1/7/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 month ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, I can help you trouble shoot it personally if you wish, here in this dialog box.

.

Tell me about how old the system is, I will try to find a manual for it, that said, the trouble shooting instructions can pretty sparce, I am not sparce however at age 77 with 58 years in the business.

We can go from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the unit is about 15 years old, it is a Unitary Products Group (York) F+RP030H06A
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i seem to now have plenty air flow, but i never reach set point.

Thanks, ***** ***** the modern refrigerant R410a and uses Refrigerant 22 or an equivalent ... those heat pumps are controlled generally to turn off at temperatures much below +30F outside, their efficiency drops rapidly after that... these systems are then generally fit with auxiliary or emergency back up heat to serve in that case.

Tell me if have had occasion to add or adjust the refrigerant charge... we can go from there without any time limits.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the compressor in the outside unite was changed this summer and the refrigerant checked fine yesterday

Heat pump refrigerant charges are critical within an ounce of refrigerant or two, charging them in heat mode can easily lead to an over charge of refrigerant, that then needs to be fine tuned in the summer to get it exactly right.

.

that said... the key issue here is no heat pump of that vintage will heat efficiently when its cooler than 30F outside,

.

if you are in the 10's and 20's at night that heat pump will not produce heat and you will be reliant on the back up heaters.

.

Tell me as much as you can about the back up heat furnace or electric resistance heaters.

.

We can go from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am in the upstate of SC and colder then normal, 8 nights in row between 9 and 18F. the Aux heat is 2 coils both functioning correctly both 20 amp circuit's both pulling that when on. temp set at 71 current temp 65, heat pump and Aux heat on.

Thanks if there are no air leaks in the ducts and if the house is well insulated and weather stripped, the much heat is sufficient to keep the house well above 60F at night.... tell me please what the inside temperature is at night please and the size and age of the house.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have not crawled through the attic to check but it was next on my list. the house is 15 years old. temp drops to 60

Thanks the fact that the house heats to 60F on such a cold night tells us that most or all of the back up heat coils are operating and that they are just a little undersized for the house, thats quite common. Normally systems are not designed to meet the coldest ever conditions, just typical winter conditions..

.

Its time to rate my input for the day, that gets me paid, locate the "finish and rate your expert" link near the top of the page and click on it. I will appreciate that very much.

I am in every day from 9 am to 11 pm west coast USA time to do any follow up needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I go up in heater size?

The wire size to the heaters determines how large a heating element you can put in....the wire size is stamped on the wire every 12 inches or so, its an AWG number and I need to know if its copper or aluminum.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I will have to check in the morning. So the age and inefficiency of the unite a long with the low out side temp the unite is doing all it can and my last option is to up the heaters to get through the night?

Yes, that is about right.

.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One last question on this unite how do I check to make sure the fan is set to run on high? Wiring diagram?

Set the fan switch on the thermostat to ON, that should run the fan on high speed.

To verify turn on the AC to cooling mode for a few seconds, that will also run the fan on high speed.

Notice the air flow volume from the registers using a tissue to see how much air is blowing.

.

Now set the system into heating mode, the fan will blow less air in heating mode if its wired correctly.

.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer