HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Heat pump Model: GBD080500738. No power to 22vdc heater

Customer Question
Heat pump...

Heat pump Model: GBD080500738

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

No power to 22vdc heater relay from circuit board.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. The new circuit board is getting 24vac.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Too cold for outside unit to work.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/7/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Hello, I see the 24 volt transformer on that diagram but not any heater relay that you are reporting 22vdc at, I need to see the diagram with that relay on it as well

I’ll be home in an hour

Great, we can go from there then.

thanks, ***** ***** are getting 22 vac (not DC) across that contactor coil at the bottom of the diagram and its not closing and putting power to the electric heater strip, then the contactor is bad,

If you are getting 240 volts to the heater strip terminal, and the heating element is not getting hot, then the high temperature safety cut out switch shown to the right of the heating element on the diagram is open... turn power off to the unit, remove the wires from that switch and use an ohm meter to determine if its open or not.... if its open and it has no reset button on it, then its bad and needs to be replaced.

.

Its time to rate my input for the day, that gets me paid, locate the "finish and rate your expert" link near the top of the page and click on it. I will appreciate that very much.

I am in every day from 9 am to 11 pm west coast USA time to do any follow up needed.

I have done all of that. The contact says 22vdc and no voltage is coming out of the card.

These systems all run on 24volts AC you might have your meter set incorrectly, I cannot tell from here, tell me what the meter reads with a known 24vac source, such as the 24v control transformer.

You have not measured the 230 volt AC on the heavy wire though, did you understand my previous instruction, or do I need to say it another way.

I said yes I did all of that, everything works fine all the voltages are good there is just no power coming out of the card to the relay. I could jumper the relay and all is well. I just paid $100 for a new card, and it still doesn’t work.
Is the circuitboard supposed to change the low-voltage from AC to DC to the relay.

Hello again , you can dismount the relay and look at the side of the 22v coil and it will say if its 24 vac or 24vdc,

I have seen printed circuit boards rectify AC to DC its very rare, and in these cases there is no need for it.

.

Please refund my money, if you cannot identify the problem tomy satisfaction.
I believe I already stated The relay says 22 vDC
The relay will just buzz, if I put the 28vac to it. There is no voltage of any kind in the wires going to the relay.
I meant 24 VAC.

I can never tell if if I am working with a teenager or an experienced old timer in the business....your remarks saying that the coil was putting out 22vdc suggested that you did not understand that the coil does not put out anything it uses any voltage applied to it.

.I will opt out however so that other experts here can jump in if they think they can help you.

Let me restate my problem for the next guy. The heat strip relay says on the side 22 vdc, but never recived any voltage from the old or new Circuit board which is getting 24 vac. Fan needs to start before Heat strips.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer