HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a weil mclain ultra plus 40 tank- there is a leak…

Customer Question
I have a...

I have a weil mclain ultra plus 40 tank- there is a leak from the small black valve on top of the tank- is it possible it's related to a frozen pipe issue I'm having and any thoughts on what to do?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Just yesterday and it's a slow overflow drip- the valve does not tighten

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have someone coming tomorrow- should i leave water running in the house to relieve pressure?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just looking for a suggestion before it can be looked at by plumber tomorrow

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/7/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 5 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, use the 'add files' link next to your send button to send me a photo of the leaking valve.

We can go from there without any time limits.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

.

I sent photo attached to message by phone
Waiting for your suggestion on what to do? Thanks

Thanks, ***** ***** an automatic, float type air vent valve....you can probably fix it by loosening the schraeder valve core ONE turn then reseating it a few times.

That 3/8" diameter cap unscrews from the top, exposing the schraeder valve core.

other option is to replace the entire float vent assembly ($30 or so)

.

Let me know how that works.

.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer