HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My trane xr12 outside unit is making a loud whing noise and…

Customer Question
My trane xr12 outside...

My trane xr12 outside unit is making a loud whing noise and the blades in the unit are not turning it just makes the loud noise then it stops for awhile and starts again

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

Thermostat is new which filters the ones in the outside unit or the ones in the unit in the house I believe that would be the furnance the noise is coming from the outside unit a large unit that has an electrical panel on one side and what looks like air vent panels on 4 sides does that have filters

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I could get your feedback and knowledge I am

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What should I be checking that unit for its may be 8yrs old

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/7/2018
HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 7 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

F​rom your description it sounds like you have a bad condenser fan motor, or bad bearings. Most likely the unit is running, overheating, cooling down, and repeating. You can verify this by observing the cycle and noting what it is actually causing the excessive noise.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 6 months ago

As of this posting I have not been able to locate any additional information on this specific issue, and since I have not received any reply or feedback from the recommendations I mentioned above, I trust they have been helpful in resolving this problem. However, if you are still needing additional assistance, please let me know by using the reply box below, otherwise I will proceed in closing out this question.

Thank you,

Dave

I was reviewing my open questions list and noticed this one has not been answered or replied to. Did you still need help with it or should it go back to customer service for proper processing?

HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 5 months ago

Hello... I would very much appreciate if you can take a few moments and reply to this email and let me know if you still require assistance, or should I proceed forward to closing out this question since it has been open for so long.

Thank you,

Dave

HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 4 months ago

Hello... As part of our continuous follow up procedures, every open question requires it to be closed out once it has gone past a reasonable time, and that the expert has provided an answer that should have helped resolve your question. This can be done simply by completing the 5 Star Rating once it appears. If you still require assistance or have additional questions, you can let the expert know by replying to this posting that you still need their advice and recommendations.

Thank you,

Dave

HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 3 months ago

Hello, I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been replied too, however I did respond with an answer back on January 07, 2018 and therefore I am wondering if that has resolved the problem you were experiencing. I would greatly appreciate a reply email, so I can complete this open question, or just let me know if you need further assistance, and I can continue to look for another solution.

HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 2 months ago

I do apologize for these continuing follow-up messages, however since this question remains open and will only close out once the rating portion has been completed by you. Please assist me by taking a few moments to fulfill the rating requirement and this will satisfy the system.

Thank you so much, I sincerely ***** *****

Best,

Dave

Greetings...

I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been rated yet. If you could take a couple of moments and complete the 5 Star Rating which will close out the question I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave

HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 1 month ago

Thank you,

Dave