HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a avptc426014AA air handler with a heat pump primary…

Customer Question
I have a avptc426014AA...

I have a avptc426014AA air handler with a heat pump primary and electric heat backup. It’s -1 outside and for the past few days, seems the floor never comes up to temp the thermostat is set at. It’s set at (higher than usual) 74 and its 63 in here. The blower motor comes on for about three to five minutes then shuts off. It does blow warm air out the vents when it runs. However it doesn’t remain running very long. About 15 minutes go by then comes back on again for another few minutes. The thermostat is a Honeywell and I edited the schedule so it is calling for the same temp all the time. I have tried to just turn on the blower. Is thermostat but it doesn’t come on, but I know it works.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filter changed yesterday.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Sure!

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Six green flashes. I do not have it communicating via Ethernet or home system. There is one red led that’s on all the time.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/7/2018
HVAC Technician: Gaztech, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I amCustomer a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE if we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

TO RECALL THE LAST 6 FAULTS, MOST RECENT TO LEAST RECENT,

Locate diagnostic led and button on furnace control board.

DEPRESS SWITCH FOR MORE THAN 2 SECONDS WHILE IN STANDBY (N

THERMOSTAT INPUTS)

Ok I’ll head to the attic. Rather cold. How should I put the unit in “standby”

Set t-stat to off

The diagnostic led will give flashes, count flashes between pauses.

there might be defferent faults

Fault chart is in your manual or sticker in furnace

Pressed fault recall button. The flashing green LED went out. The red LED (fault recall) still on. The only green led flashing is the data one. I have no Ethernet cable to this thing. At this point I have no fault code
Oh and the tstat was turned off as directed

Then I suspect possible t-stat issue

Does blower turn on when you set t-stat to fan on?

Could a bad tstat cause the 6 green flashes on the board? There were the6 flashes prior to hitting the recal button
The blower does not come on when I tell it to. Weird thing is it does work and comes on when it wants
Let me try to turn it on
Stand by
Fan set to on. Tstat clicked. Fan not running. System set to off still.

GREEN CFM LED - EACH FLASH REPRESENTS 100CFM (USE FOR AIRFLOWAPPROXIMATION ONLY) - EXAMPLE: 8 FLASHES = 800CFM

Blower speed status LED

Blower fan did not come on. On the tstat I still have the system “off”.
Correction. Blower is running but not strong.

Here is fault chart

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1289171/Goodman-Avptc42d14-Series.html?page=22#manual

What make and model of t-stat do you have?

Honeywell TH8320u1008
Yeah I read a little of the chart but thought the 6 led flashes I was getting was the code. Then read about the blower module and a whole bunch of stuff could be wrong with the 6 flashes.

Nothing on segment diagnostic display I assume

Are you still there?

segment diagnostic display is on furnace control board and will show E? if there is a issue

Pager 24-27

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1289171/Goodman-Avptc42d14-Series.html?page=24#manual

Pic of board coming

I dont see E display either, must be diferent model

Lets try something else, put panel back on furnace the go to t-stat

Pull t-stat off the wall plate and at wire terminals put a jumper between terminal R and W to see is furnace starts to heat

Ok give me a little bit

If it makes it easier, remove both wire and twist R and W together

Ok little update. I changed the batteries on the tstat. They were a littl corroded. Plugged the tstat back on. Turned it to Heat and it is heating. There are 16 flashes now instead of 8. So 1600 cfm got it. I did that about 5 minutes ago and the blower has not shut off yet. I am getting heat (Luke warm). I volt metered the incoming lines. I have two 60 amp feeds going to the furnace. Both breakers check out fine. I have voltage on all heat elements. However what I am missing is amperage on the one double pole breaker. The other is drawing 45 amps and the A coil is warm. I could be wrong but shouldn’t the other breaker have a load on it as well when it’s this cold out. I don’t see how the heat pump would be doing much good. I am getting 23 amps on the one set of elements but the other set is giving me 0.3 amps. Can you assist me in troubleshooting these elements or seeing if one of the relays are bad? After typing this on my phone with frozen hands, blower is still running strong
I am completely comfortable working in the furnace while “hot”. I am a journeyman wireman. Just not an HVAC guy.
Unless the other two elements are for emergency heat. Which I have not tried

You have a 2 stage furnace, W2 terminal needs to be energised, bypass w1 and w2 at furnace control board to see if other elements energise

I am getting ready to go out with kids soon.

by bypassing W1 and W2, just switch them around?
Have fun with the kiddos.

No put jumper wire 18 gauge between the 2 terminals

Ok gotcha I’ll jump them and see. Hit me up when you get back please

Try what I am saying, will check in 5 minutes, slowly getting ready

Will do I’m on my way back up there. I have 4 kids the oldest is 9 so I completely understand lol
W1 and w2 already jumped together

OK,

element relays are 24 v coil, it may be DC volt. see if there getting 24v

and elements are 10-12 ohms each.

High limit switch to each elements are normaly close

Ok give me a while. Go do your thing. I’ll check back in with you later. I can’t safely get to the coil wires with all the other wires in the way. Gonna have to move some stuff to check those items.
Ok weird
I just closed up the furnace to grab something to eat. That blower ran non stop all that time. Closed the panel and it’s shutting down now. Wonder what the deal is with that?

It may be coincidence? reset unit ( power off 10 sec. ) check if posible error code.

Blower motor is ECM electronic control motor.

For diagnosing element area, I wear new thin spandex work gloves with a light rubber coating on the front side.

just avoid touching ground helps alot

Shut power off to check element Ohms

Power on for relays obviously.

I’ll have to tear into this after bit. We have other issues at the moment. Thanks for your help today and I’ll hit you up tomorrow evening.
I do believe I have a bad sequencing relay though. Not 100% sure cause I got pulled away. Don’t close the chat please
It’s heating once again but the outdoor temp went up to 18-20.

Sequencers do sthe same as relays but often need replacing.

Not sure what happened but we are at 70 degrees now. Tstat is still set at 72
The outside ambient temp went up to 20F.
Blower working ok, throwing heat. It does cycle on and off but not as much. I honestly believe the other set of elements need looked at and it’s probably that relay. Unless the DIP switches tell it when to come on (if they are even set right). The only thing I actually did was replace the batteries on the Tstat. They were bad corroded. Maybe a combo of that and the outside temp going up enough the heat pump started working. I’m going to dive back into this later in the week when it’s supposed to be in the mid to high 40’s. In the meantime I’m ordering two relays. That why if it is one of those, I have a spare on hand and another spare for future. Outside of that, not sure what else it could be except the tstat itself which seems to be working ok at this point. If one of the elements or limit switches are
Bad, then I’ll deal with that and I cross that bridge. Luckily the weather is supposed to warm up a bit and should give me a window to work with this. My second floor is roughly 2,000 sqft. In your opinion, do you feel that I have the correct unit? 9’ ceilings. Not sure of the size heat pump I have (didn’t go out and look). Regardless even if I have to heat this floor with the heater kit in the air handler, shouldn’t it be sized so that it can help up? I mean if it’s -40 outside, I can see maybe not keeping the entire floor heated efficiently but not -1/-7. Just my opinion. Maybe with the other elements not working or being told to operate, the thing just doesn’t have a chance to catch up. Just curious if the size unit I have is adequate enough in your opinion. Thanks again for your help. Not sure what we did and I don’t think it’s fixed but it’s better than it was. Keep this open if that’s ok with you and if you don’t hear back from me by Friday, close it out or shoot me a message. Thanks again. Stp
Sorry about the misplaced words. Spell check changed them for me lol

The heater kit used for your furnace is not identified on the furnace rating plate.

Hkr 21 being the bigest one available and think that is the one that should have been chosen.

As far as Heat pump its 400 sqFt/ ton as rule of thumb

I noticed question is still opened?

Did you resolve problem?

Best regards

Customer/p>