HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a 2 zone Carrier Weathermaker system that has now…

Customer Question
I have a 2 zone...
I have a 2 zone Carrier Weathermaker system that has now shown an E1 code on the master thermostat and shut the system down. Unit was working fine, or appeared to be working fine. I shut the system down and it appears to be operating normal again, however I am not at this residence full time and can’t afford for it to shut down again while away potentially causing water pipe damage as it is very cold right now. Is this something we can fix ourselves or do I need to call one of local HVAC guys?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/7/2018
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. That was most likely and power surge or drop causing problems. If you are not there to be safe have service tech check system.

I believe we may need to either replace the control panel or one of the chips. Can we purchase the control panel ourselves?

Yes if you have a Model number of Panel I will give you source. Russ

Control panel number is *****
Some other sources online have indicated this code is a thermostat communications issue and we may just need to replace thermostat- we have a Nest can we replace it with that?

E1 is usually a thermostat problem. I would replace thermostat. Take thermostat off the sub base and check to see if you have a 5 wire thermostat not a communicating thermostat. If it is a five wire you can use Nest. Russ

Turns out it is 4 wire so onto the next option. Where can we purchase a Comfortzone II Thermostat?

Sorry about wait. Do you have model number of that thermostat and I will find a source for you.