HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Carrier Touch n Go thermostat quit, Pretty sure it is

Customer Question
Carrier Touch n Go...

Carrier Touch n Go thermostat quit

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Pretty sure it is thermostat issue

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Are you a bot

Contractor's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the HVAC tech more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Anything else we should know to help you best?

I had this happen once before - loose battery terminal Not this time

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/7/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello... now you have a real person, age 77 with 58 years in the business.

.

If the house is heating well then the screen on the thermostat has merely failed, if the house is not heating then we have some trouble shooting to do.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I will attempt to get that info in the next few minutes. Meantime-I believe this may be a thermostat issue as it began while I was turning the temp up and done earlier this eve. Take a look at the thermostat-Carrier Touch n Go TC-PAC. Furnace is Carrier
59TP5A.. This unit is only 3 years old. A similar problem happened in May which turned out to be a loose battery terminal in the thermostat.

Thanks, ***** ***** jumper wire made out of a paper clip and connect from R to W... if the heat comes on the problem is with your thermostat.

.

If the heat does not come on, the problem is with the furnace/air handler

click here please

.

Is that Red to White on the circuit board left side in pic? Also-will I get a shock?

Yes, and I show the jumper in Yellow... most people will not get a shock, its only 24 volts.. if you want to be totally sure, turn off the power to the furnace/air handler before you fit the jumper.

That did not work

Hello, the problem is with the furnace in that case, and not the thermostat.

.

If you have technical skills and a multi meter I can coach you on diagnosing the furnace, it will take an hour or so.... if you do not have technical skills tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city and I will locate a well rated service outfit for you.

.

I do not- I am located in Shelby Township,MI or close to Rochester, MI
Where are you located?

Our offices are located in the San Franciso bay area

we are able to locate well rated service outfits world wide however

click here for one of the best rated heating outfits in the area

Click here for another one

.

You may have to wait a few days however since most outfits are backlogged with work. In the meantime if you have an *electric* oven you can turn it on to 300F and open its door to keep the house a little warmer, then if you have one or two portable electric heaters or a fire place you can use those as well.

Its time to rate my input for the day, that gets me paid, locate the "finish and rate your expert" link near the top of the page and click on it. I will appreciate that very much, I am in all day tomorrow from 9 am to 11 pm west coast USA time

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer