HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an AO water heater. My hot water has stopped and I am…

Customer Question
I have an AO...

I have an AO SMITH water heater. My hot water has stopped and I am resetting the breaker on the heater. I just removed the cover and pressed but did not hear a click. Is this normal

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

JUST happened. Had hot water this morning, now I don't

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can. I am hoping it is only the breaker

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just want to know if I should hear a click

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/7/2018
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 6 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

What is the model of the AO SMITH unit? Is it gas or electric?

Let me check
It is an ecl 30 200
Electric
Are we still connected

OK so you pressed the reset under the cover on the heater?

should I have heard a click

If it were tripped you would have felt it click. If you have power to it at this point and it is not heating the element may be burned out.

There are no fuses anywhere on the heater are there

No not at all.

This morning our cold water froze, when I showered I had hot water. Did I drain the tank causing the element to burn out

If you drained the tank with the power on yes the element would instantly burn out.

Thanks

No problem, We are on the honor system here for payment and will receive nothing unless a rating is given. Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.